well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Peggy Noonan's take

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peggy Noonan's take
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Peggy Noonan had an op ed in the WSJ. I don't have a WSJ subscription, but a friend sent me a link to a Mediate article that has a link to the Noonan editorial. I was able to read Noonan's piece.

https://www.mediaite.com/polit...source=pocket_mylist

quote:
Trump Voters Need a New Direction
He might have been the only Republican who could beat Hillary in 2016. But he’s a sure loser in 2024.

Let me know if you are successful in getting to the op-ed. ....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And on a related note...

quote:
Gov. Asa Hutchinson hasn’t jumped as far into the political deep waters as U.S. Rep. Liz Cheney has, but he’s waded a lot farther than most Republican officeholders.

On “Fox News Sunday,” Hutchinson told host Bret Baier that he doesn’t believe former President Trump is “criminally responsible” for the riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. However, he said Trump is “politically and morally responsible for much of what has happened.”

Hutchinson called the work by the select congressional committee investigating the riot “an important review.” He added that the American people don’t want to “focus on the past” and that Democrats are mistaken if they just “relitigate what they did in the impeachment.”

Hutchinson could have stopped there. He’d already said a lot. He went further in response to a question about his own party. I’ll quote his answer in its entirety.

“Well, I hope that the future of the Republican Party is different than former President Trump’s leadership,” he said. “I hope we move in a different direction. I believe that what happened on Jan. 6 is a lot at his feet. It was wrong for our country, and for him to continue to push that theory, I agree is the wrong direction for the Republican Party.

“I think there’s many Republicans that are looking for an off-ramp, new opportunities to find leadership in the future. Obviously what President Trump, there’s a lot of things that he did that were very good, that the base and I agree with, but he got off track on Jan. 6, and that was a costly error for our democracy, and I agree with a lot of the comments. He has responsibility there. We need to make sure that’s clear.

“I think Republicans need to do a lot of soul searching as to what is the right thing here, what is the right thing to say for our party and our democracy and our future, and not simply appeal to the basis instincts of some of our base.”

https://news.yahoo.com/gop-nee...-ramp-110015371.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
From Noonan's article:

quote:
“He is sort of a 1950s caricature of a woman,” she continued, in a barb clearly aimed at getting under Trump’s skin as he is known to be obsessed with masculinity.

Big Grin

The GOP will turn on Noonan (if they haven't already), who could do no wrong during the Reagan era.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I think people including Hutchinson put too much on Jan 6th. That was just the cinematic conclusion to a months-long effort to steal the election. It’s unlikely we’ll see another Jan 6, but the real danger - getting partisan local officials to invalidate swathes of votes, not certify totals from districts that vote against their guy, send in competing electors, etc - has only increased since 2020.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think "Jan 6" is the modern equivalent to "Watergate". It's shorthand that describes a whole series of troublesome activities and not meant to literally reference a single event.

You think there are people who don't know that? Wink

edit: The only ones I know are the folks who want to brush off/excuse what happened, and that's easier to do if you narrow the discussion and then quibble about technicalities...

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I think "Jan 6" is the modern equivalent to "Watergate". It's shorthand that describes a whole series of troublesome activities and not meant to literally reference a single event.

You think there are people who don't know that? Wink

edit: The only ones I know are the folks who want to bush off/excuse what happened, and that's easier to do if you narrow the discussion and then quibble about technicalities...

I think it’s both. It’s all of the events leading up to the 6th, but then it’s ordinary citizens assaulting Capitol officers and vandalizing the Capitol. The second is the culmination of the first, but it’s also in a separate category, and involved different people.

If Trump had done everything he’d done to try to steal the election and then stopped short of advocating insurrection, he’d still be a criminal who tried to start a coup.

So the 6th is both shorthand for the whole process as well as a discrete set of criminal events by ordinary citizens.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Well stated. Good point.

Bazootiehead-in-training