well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Books that Stick
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books that Stick
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Not many.

Jane Eyre rises above everything else I've read as a book I would still return to.

The nyt recently had readers vote on the best book of the past 150 years. You could vote for up to three of their finalists. The only finalist I wanted to vote for was Charlotte's Web.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
Just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns - very decent book. I had to move books from my night stand to a little Ikea shelf next to the bed, was afraid the nightstand might collapse.

I just finished “Kite Runner” by the same author. “Splendid Suns” is in my queue.
Both wonderful books. A glimpse into how familiar and alien Afghan culture is to us.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
It occurs to me that as somebody editing a 170,000-word doorstop/book about Agatha Christie, I should mention one of hers. I think that And Then There Were None is a stunning achievement in tone, point of view, and information control. I don't know that I understand why it is the bestselling novel of all time, but it is.

A friend of mine who is a scholar of race, gender, and the media has written a whole chapter for the Christie book about the deeply problematic original title, and there's more yet to say. I wrote about the book, too, in my chapter on ideas of justice and revenge in her work. It's really something to write a book that's still being talked about eighty years later.

Hurry up! I want that book. Smiler Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
These four in no particular order of preference:

1. “Jane Eyre”, by Charlotte Bronte
2. “A Tale of Two Cities”, by Charles Dickens
3. “A Clockwork Orange”, by Anthony Burgess
4. “The Gulag Archipelago”, by Aleksandr Solzhenitsen

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
It occurs to me that as somebody editing a 170,000-word doorstop/book about Agatha Christie, I should mention one of hers. I think that And Then There Were None is a stunning achievement in tone, point of view, and information control. I don't know that I understand why it is the bestselling novel of all time, but it is.

A friend of mine who is a scholar of race, gender, and the media has written a whole chapter for the Christie book about the deeply problematic original title, and there's more yet to say. I wrote about the book, too, in my chapter on ideas of justice and revenge in her work. It's really something to write a book that's still being talked about eighty years later.

Hurry up! I want that book. Smiler Big Grin

Oh, I'm hurrying. It's due December 15. Eeker

It looks like the pub date will be November 2022.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I think Frankenstein holds up after two hundred years.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post