well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Summer garden projects

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summer garden projects
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
All the gardens around here are going crazy this year. I have tomatoes and peppers a good bit earlier than usual.

My new strawberry plants have gotten established and are starting to flower. They are alpine strawberries and are sort of everbearing. Raspberries are almost done and I have a huge number of red currants to pick.

My neighbor has a good sized garden with a *ton* of dill. We picked an armload yesterday and Mr wtg spent several hours processing it. He washes everything, dries it, and chops it. He packages the chopped dill into small plastic containers and we freeze it. Much better than dried dill. We ended up with nine or ten containers.

The harvest:

And I got a bonus batch of flowers to put out in the screen room. A little messy (they're dropping pollen all over the table) but it smells great and looks pretty!

We might go back later today and pick some more...I don't think we cut down more than a fifth of what she has....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My potted herb garden is doing remarkably well. I'm getting more herbs from this one pot than I did in the big garden in CA! The only exception, unfortunately, is Rosemary. I started with this. Each one of the 4" plants I planted cost less than a little bag of fresh herbs at the grocery store:

Now I have this!

My neighbor's hostas are blooming! They never bloomed in CA. Pretty!

My Arborvitae - the center tree in a row of five - is dying. I think what's killing it are "bagworms" (we have the weirdest bugs here!) although I removed all of the little cocoons and it continues to die. My neighbor's weeping (Firs? Cedars?) are dying too. Next step is to spray - I'll try BT first.

Not a garden project, but my most successful project so far. I installed a big return register in the basement and it's not cold in there any more. I though I might have to add a separate HVAC system but it seems to work great!

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post