well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Zoom-equipped versions of Walden Pond

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zoom-equipped versions of Walden Pond
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Why Are So Many Knowledge Workers Quitting?

The coronavirus pandemic threw everyone into Walden Pond.

https://www.newyorker.com/cult...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37957 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Excellent! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34973 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
That’s a good read, I enjoyed it.

Of course, my personal Walden Pond is completely engulfed in Forest fire smoke now, and for the foreseeable future…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
That’s a good read, I enjoyed it.

Of course, my personal Walden Pond is completely engulfed in Forest fire smoke now, and for the foreseeable future…

The wind shifted. Enjoying the clear air. Remind myself when its gets smokey that it could be worse.
Glad I am not closer to the big fires.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Whenever I read articles like this, I want to ask these people whether they still have student loans to pay off or children they still need to put through college. If it's in Asia, I would also ask whether they still have aging parents that they need to support.

Henry David Thoreau was, after all, single and had no dependent.

You can throw away your committee and board and executive positions, you can throw away your projects and clients, but you cannot throw away your children. And in most parts of Asia where the social safety net and social norms are very different, you cannot throw away your parents.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interesting questions, though I have to admit it they didn't come to mind for me when reading the article. I'm not sure that people whose priorities shift in the ways described necessarily walk away from all obligations.

A ​few thoughts on the nature of perceived obligations and what constitutes successfully meeting them...

Support for children and aging parents comes in many flavors, some financial and some not. And what people view as their obligations in the parent/child relationship vary greatly for a lot of different reasons. Upbringing, culture, individual personalilties...

Putting a kid through college may make some parents feel that they have completed their job as a parent and they've set up them for success. But maybe a kid who has to work hard and find their own path in adulthood actually ends up in a better place, emotionally and/or financially.

In the case of aging parents, if your career takes up all of your life you may have the money to hire people to take care of them. OTOH, if you have the time but not the financial resources, you may do it yourself.

Life is full of tradeoffs. Money gives people options but is no guarantee of positive (edit: maybe a better word is "desired") outcomes.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37957 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Thoreau went home to his parents house for meals and to do laundry.

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post