well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Apple is shutting down iTunes
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple is shutting down iTunes
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think iTunes is gone, to be replaced by Music, TV, and Podcast apps.

quote:
iTunes has been the way Apple users listen to music, watch movies and TV shows, hear podcasts, and manage their devices for almost two decades. This year, Apple is finally ready to move into a new era. The company is launching a trio of new apps for the Mac – Music, TV, and Podcasts – to replace iTunes. That matches Apple’s media app strategy on iPhones and iPads. Without iTunes, customers can manage their Apple gadgets through the Music app.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/tre...r-18-years/954397665

Also this:

quote:
We previously discovered the new standalone Music app to be included in the next major version of macOS, 10.15. In that post, we mentioned the new Music app would be made using Marzipan, that lets iOS apps run on the Mac. Recently, sources familiar with the development of the OS reached out, correcting that information.

The new standalone Music app on macOS will actually be an AppKit application, based off of iTunes. It will include many of the advanced features iTunes users are accustomed to, including things such as smart playlists, advanced library management, syncing with iPods and iOS devices, and even disc reading and burning.

This new version would be the final step in the process that started with iTunes 12.7, which was updated to focus on music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks. With new standalone apps for all media types on macOS 10.15, iTunes becomes focused on just music and gets renamed to Music, like its counterpart on iOS.

It’s possible that an older version of iTunes will be kept available for users who need extra features, as with the current version that’s available for download and includes the App Store, support for ringtones, and other legacy features.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/05/09...p-macos-itunes-code/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Are there things that you listen to that are not on Spotify, on Amazon Music, on YouTube Music?

Partly. A lot of what I have was ripped from vinyl to iTunes, some of it is old bluegrass stuff you are not going to find streaming. Some of my music is from local bands. I also don't like listening to whole albums, preferring to jump around between songs, artists and styles.

Maybe the new "Music" app will be backward compatible.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Are there things that you listen to that are not on Spotify, on Amazon Music, on YouTube Music?

Partly. A lot of what I have was ripped from vinyl to iTunes, some of it is old bluegrass stuff you are not going to find streaming. Some of my music is from local bands. I also don't like listening to whole albums, preferring to jump around between songs, artists and styles.

Jumping isn’t an issue. Most streaming services allow you to create playlists and then play in a random order. Even within an album.

The bands of friends is a problem. However, I believe you can upload your own music to Amazon and Apple. Definitely, you could with Google Music (although I cannot say for sure with YouTube Music).

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:

Jumping isn’t an issue. Most streaming services allow you to create playlists and then play in a random order. Even within an album.

The bands of friends is a problem. However, I believe you can upload your own music to Amazon and Apple. Definitely, you could with Google Music (although I cannot say for sure with YouTube Music).

All true I'm sure, and I'll figure something out if I have to. Meantime the prospect of paying $100+ per year to listen to music I've already paid for has little appeal.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
The mainstream streaming services absolutely suck for classical music, to the point where I'd say they don't really play in that space.

There are a couple of services for classical, Idagio and Primephonic. From my investigations the latter seems superior, though I've not yet subscribed.

I've probably purchased 20 CDS this calendar year.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Just as clarification, on Apple and Amazon, there is no monthly fee for music I own or have uploaded previously.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I welcome the move to split the iTunes application into multiple applications that deal with music, TV, and other stuff separately. One big app that does many things is hard to maintain and is bound to fall behind in one aspect or another eventually (“jack of all trades” and such). Better to refactor into multiple applications and make each the best for its respective purpose.

One function I hope not to lose in all this is the ability to backup and restore the contents of iOS devices. It’s not yet practical to keep and transfer an eighth of a terabyte per device to/from the cloud yet. Local backup/restore capability is still needed.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post