well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Well this is exciting: UPDATE: Explosion today
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well this is exciting: UPDATE: Explosion today
 Login/Join

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
So the area was reopened, then a month later blocked off again. That only lasted a day or two. Then today they closed off the area again late this afternoon. My mom just texted me that they heard a huge explosion. The area had been thankfully evacuated but my mom says there are five ambulances and almost 20 police cars there so I assume there may be injuries. ETA: From what they are hearing all of the injuries are from flying glass.

This is across the street:

Here are two photos showing the same area so you can get an idea of how much has been destroyed.

picture sharing

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
HairRaising And WTF They already knew there was an issue???

I hope everyone is safe.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
It’s a natural well and so just capping it isn’t enough. There is another site about ten miles away that has been evacuated for two years because they are still trying to fix it.

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Wow. I hope they don't need two years to fix this one.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
It’s a natural well and so just capping it isn’t enough. There is another site about ten miles away that has been evacuated for two years because they are still trying to fix it.

Worse than a bombing - terrifying.
If capping it isn't enough, what is??
How DO they go about "fixing" it?

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
A horror story with a stinky impalpable villain.
Scary

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
How terrifying.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
So more historical documents have come forward.

Two years before the explosion referenced above there was another explosion! At that time it was the fire station. Then they built the hall and library on the site and that went up. But the library was where all the historical records were kept. So that’s part of the issue - they have no records of the original well. It was a drilled well that was capped over a hundred years ago, apparently. The old timers in town have handed down stories about where the vent is and what happened, but because there are no records there’s lots of “there’s no way to know anything” happening on the part of the authorities.

My parents still have no hydro but they do have a generator so they are doing ok. The next door neighbours (who are in the evacuation zone) parked in my parents driveway and hopped the fence to grab some things because they aren’t letting people in. My parents have an old barn in the back yard (they are in the town but it’s an old farming community) and my dad just realized that the windows were blown out by the explosion. They are two blocks away.

Current thinking is they need to cap the well but gas is still leaking into the area so there is a risk of a second explosion. They are keeping the area under an evacuation order until the gas dissipates.