well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Got a new eye...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a new eye...
 Login/Join

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
So for those of you have done it, monofocal lens, what did you aim for, correction-wise, with the lens?

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9814 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Don't need cataract surgery yet but have been exploring the whole world of vision correction recently because my ten year old progressives are too far off from my current prescription. My distance vision has improved and my near vision is worse during that decade, so they don't do the trick.

As you can see, I have a very mild distance correction, so I tend not to wear glasses at all except for driving. I bought a pair of drugstore reading glasses that approximate what I need for a midrange correction; they work OK for reading, too. But it's not great so I need to figure out something better for the long term.

In talking to my friend the eye person, she was guessing when I need cataract surgery eventually that what would be best for me is to shoot for slight nearsightedness that approximates my current vision without glasses. Life would go on pretty much as it is.

She, on the other hand, is -3 in one eye and -6 in the other. Her problem has been the significant nearsightedness and the difference between the vision in her two eyes. She can't wear progressives because there are so many focal lengths going on in the two lenses that she can't adapt. She's having her eyes corrected to slight, and equal, nearsightedness. Everything else will follow from there.

She did say that achieving a particular correction is a bit of an art. The opthalmologists do their best but the end results can vary.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38028 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
All these years of wearing glasses and I never looked up what the numbers meant!

My distance correction was only .25 before the cataract started forming, then the left eye went up to .75. Still pretty mild. It's the astigmatism numbers that are bigger for me. -2.75 and -3.

I'll still get glasses to correct for that.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7566 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
All these years of wearing glasses and I never looked up what the numbers meant!

I didn't either, until a few years ago!

https://www.allaboutvision.com...ass-prescription.htm

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38028 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info! I think I’d like to end up slightly nearsighted and correct for the rest.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9814 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear everything went well! I'm probably headed for similar surgery at some point, so any news that is essentially "it worked, and it wasn't a big deal" is welcome.

I'm not sure I will be a candidate for corrective vision, just removing the cloudiness.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post