well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Got a new eye...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a new eye...
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted
Well, just a lens. Cataract surgery. Lots of waiting around for a quick procedure.

Day after, that eye was already 20/25, with improvement supposed to happen for about 3 weeks. I had to pop a lens out of my glasses - the eyes almost match that way... at least for distance.

Snow is much whiter out of that eye!

I buy insurance through the marketplace. This year's option for the surgery and all related costs looks to be 1/3 of what it was going to be in the summer when I bailed because I couldn't get an estimate from anesthesia just a few days before.

That eye just changed overnight - like lots of fingerprints on my glasses.

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7565 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That's great!

Sounds like you went for a monovision lens with distance correction?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38013 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35004 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
That is great.
We take eyes for granted until our vision is threatened.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25736 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Love what science and medical technology have accomplished.

I'm expecting to live to 120. Wink

Posts: 13638 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Nothing fancy, single vision correction - but I also have astigmatism, so I could've opted for LASIK at the same time...

I figure I'd still wear glasses for the progressive lenses as well as the UV and physical protection. It may take some time to get the right prescription lenses again.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7565 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From my eye researcher friend...the fancy lenses (multifocal, toric, etc.) have a lot of problems and other procedures like LASIK have their own risks.

She said that you're much better off doing whatever corrections you need with glasses. So good decision.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38013 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
The cool thing is your insurance should pay for new glasses, but it has to be coded as medical rather than optical. I just found out Medicare will now pay for my eye exams since I have had cataract surgery.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13585 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
The cool thing is your insurance should pay for new glasses, but it has to be coded as medical rather than optical. I just found out Medicare will now pay for my eye exams since I have had cataract surgery.

Thanks for this info! I think I’m having cataract surgery in May. No fancy lenses. Not quite sure what kind of correction to go for yet. I’m a minus 10 in real life.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9810 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Well, just a lens. Cataract surgery. Lots of waiting around for a quick procedure.

Day after, that eye was already 20/25, with improvement supposed to happen for about 3 weeks. I had to pop a lens out of my glasses - the eyes almost match that way... at least for distance.

Snow is much whiter out of that eye!

I buy insurance through the marketplace. This year's option for the surgery and all related costs looks to be 1/3 of what it was going to be in the summer when I bailed because I couldn't get an estimate from anesthesia just a few days before.

That eye just changed overnight - like lots of fingerprints on my glasses.

Thrilled for you, and a little jealous!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9810 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I am well aware of the privilege I have been able to have... Achilles repair, hip replacements and knee replacement and now this. Tough to imagine what my life would be like without.

The pre-op nurse was commenting how I was smiling and chatty. She said most people come through pretty grumpy at that point. When I told her of my previous surgeries, she exclaimed "you're refurbished"! Made me chuckle...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ron, good for you!

Also, I love the thought of being refurbished! Just like pianos! WhoMe

Re corrective options,

quote:
Originally posted by WTG: She said that you're much better off doing whatever corrections you need with glasses.

This is what I hear as well. I have an uncle who tried to do something fancy with his cataract surgery and had all kinds of complications, and then corrective surgery where afterward he had to stay face down for some horrible length of time (weeks). Hearing about his experience, I vowed when it's my turn, nothing fancy even if it means I still need glasses (which I definitely will!)

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18613 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
She is a researcher, not an MD, but she does see patients in clinic and she knows her stuff. She travels in pretty elite circles and often gets the really obscure cases coming to see her when no one else can figure out what's going on.

She just had cataract surgery a couple of weeks ago. And I had a vitreous detachment around the same time, so we've been chatting a lot about eyes recently.

FWIW, from one of her emails:

quote:
To answer the question from your previous email, my cataract surgery went very well, and I got the monofocal intra-ocular lens. There are tons of problems with the multifocal lens, which is probably why it is not covered by insurance. About 30% of people have serious problems induced by the discrete changes in refractive index, which becomes really pronounced at night when the pupil dilates. Ophthalmologists love it, however, because they can charge you $3000/lens. One of our named lecturers this year said that it was unethical for ophthalmologists to recommend it.

She also mentioned later that the surgery to remove a lens that isn't working for the patient is way more complicated than the initial cataract surgery. Your uncle's experience seems to bear that out....

Bazootiehead-in-training

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out. Eye stuff scares me a bit.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Prior to surgery, I was really nervous about seeing the doc come at me with a knife, or seeing any of the tools... Imagination being worse than reality!

Once I was in position, I was instructed to "look at the bright light", which made seeing anything else impossible. The other eye was draped, so I didn't see anything that would make me worry.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com