well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Can we talk about AiO Printers?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can we talk about AiO Printers?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aren't all wireless printers that way?

No, you could have your printer connected to your PC through wireless PC <-> printer, without being "online."

If you get an HP w/ Instant Ink, even if you opt out of the Instant Ink subscription, you will have to be *online* (connected to the World Wide Web) and accessible by HP's site in order to print.

(i edited my explanation)

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18601 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I guess I never paid attention. Mine are connected to the WiFi, which connects them to the internet by default.

Why would this be a problem?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34988 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
It's not a problem until you find yourself without internet. Also, it's not just "connected to the internet" but active monitoring by HP.

Also:

quote:
Mine are connected to the WiFi, which connects them to the internet by default.

You are probably not "connected to the internet" with your printers (unless you have an ink subscription). It's one thing for printers to connect to computers via a modem (that's all "in-house" so to speak), it's another to be actively online in the actual internet (not limited to in-house).

So, how much of a problem is it? I don't know yet, but it would add another layer to printing that I currently don't have, and again, it includes the possibility of having access to printing denied for some weird internet reason.

I may be over thinking it, but if I'm not keeping an ink subscription, and there's no benefit to me of having that online connection, I would probably want to avoid it....

As I said, I still need to check out Canon...
WTG, how old is your printer?

Posts: 18601 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
They're definitely connected to the internet because they do periodic updates. So far that has not been a problem but I suppose it could be.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34988 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
do periodic updates

Duh. facepalm So does my current printer. suave

Still, it's one thing to periodically connect, it's another to be unable to printer without that connection....

But again, I'm sure I'm overthinking here!!! suave

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
They're definitely connected to the internet because they do periodic updates. So far that has not been a problem but I suppose it could be.

Are you talking about device drivers ? If so, I thought those are on the computer (connected to the internet) rather than on the hardware device (printer or whatever) ifself.

But maybe my picture of where various types of software reside is incorrect.....

edit: Well, maybe not incorrect but defintely incomplete.

Firmware and software

Maybe markj or Ax can fill in the details....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37992 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

That's actually one of the features that's going buggy. Some how it sometimes gets hung up (like, as if it were a connectivity problem) in the middle of a big job. But instead of realizing that it has already printing out half of the job, and only re-print the unfinished portion, it starts over from the very beginning. I had it re-print a forty page document just because it got hung up at the very end. Super annoying.

So now I have to watch it, and I usually send print job a few pages at a time. Which is a huge PITA....

I’ve dealt with this problem before. I think your problem has to do with a printer’s duty cycle. I used to do programming for a large government agency. The agency standardized on using Xerox commercial grade table top laser local printers located within their departments for printing mainly small reports like Word documents and Excel spread sheets. The government agency also had floor standing high speed printers for larger print outs for all the departments to use.

There is a printer duty cycle associated with any printer large or small.

I had a problem with some user departments exceeding the duty cycle of their local printers. A printer can only handle printing a certain number of pages submitted in a batch job. The main offending department would submit jobs to print out hundreds of invoices to their local desk top printers instead of using the high speed printers. The local printers just couldn’t handle it. They weren’t designed for printing that much volume. They would do what you’re experiencing with your printer. If they wanted to print out 100 invoices, it would, for example, print invoices 1-60 all right but for invoices 61-80, it would go into an endless loop and print out invoices 61-80 over and over again. I had to change their programs so that if the no. of invoices or pages of a report exceeded a certain quantity, it would automatically be routed to the high speed printers. I think the maximum quantity was 25 or 50 but I don’t remember. So what was the reason why the user departments would opt to print large quantity jobs on local printers in their own department instead of using the high speed printers? It was due to laziness. Their personnel didn’t want to have to walk over to another building where the high speed printers were located to pick up their job.

Check your owner’s manual and see if you’re exceeding your printer’s duty cycle. Maybe you need a printer with a larger duty cycle.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
do periodic updates

Duh. facepalm So does my current printer. suave

Still, it's one thing to periodically connect, it's another to be unable to printer without that connection....

But again, I'm sure I'm overthinking here!!! suave

You can plug it in via a USB cable as well.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4098 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can plug it in via a USB cable as well.

Yeah, I saw that, but of course that means the printer has to be usb-cable distance from the PC... :P

QL,I've noticed it even with very small jobs (like a 10-page word doc). And it never used to do this, so I just think the printer is getting old and buggy.

I did the "hard reset" thing, maybe I'll try that again, but basically it's just super buggy and becoming a PITA, and as I think I said at the beginning of this thread, my ink is running low, so I either buy more ink and try to nurse it along until that ink runs out, or I get a new printer...

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Stupid printer jammed again today and I spent 40 minutes dealing with it and reprinting, wasting ink, paper and time. Mr. SK pointed out that we've had this printer since at least 2014....

So I just ordered a new one, and after all the back and forth in this thread, I decided to go with what I know. So I ordered the HP OfficeJet Pro 9015e w/ 6 months of free ink. After that I'll decide whether to go back to buying ink on my own or sticking with the ink subscription.

I considered getting a wide format printer so I could print sheet music on 11x17 paper, but the ink for inkjet wide format printers is off-the-charts expensive! Either that or you spend a four digit figure to get a wide format laser printer... I just don't need that size often enough to justify it. Ah well.

Hopefully the new HP won't disappoint...