well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Can we talk about AiO Printers?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can we talk about AiO Printers?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Laser printers vs. Inkjets? The verdict: it's complicated.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/i...technology-is-better

I think I need to get my current printer to limp along through the summer and then in the fall, I will have a better idea of what I need at home.... I think my home printing needs will probably go down once fall starts, although Mr. SK's won't change....

I don't know, I think we probably need to stick with the inkjets (for his printing jobs), but I don't think I want to do HP's instant ink.....

Need to look more carefully at Canon and Epson....

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
You might consider getting a black and white laser printer and keeping your current printer for color work. That's what I did when Sharon started working at home and blasted through some 80 pages a day and it has yet to require a cartridge.

One upside I hadn't expected is that it scans in color even though it only prints in black and white.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
The current printer is old enough (and like I said, getting buggy enough) that once we replace it, I don't want to keep it. Besides the ink costs, I don't have room for two printers.

Also, as I'm reading all these reviews, I'm thinking that I don't consistently print in high enough volumes. When I'm coding and need to be printing a lot, I might print 200 pages a month, but otherwise I think I'm less than 100 pgs/month. And that should drop down when I'm in my campus office more.

Ugh, there are two many variables!!! suave

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I think the general consensus is that lasers are better, faster and more expensive to purchase. If you don't need all that speed and power, the cost might not be worth it.

At my workplace we're striving to go 100% paperless, and so far it's basically working. I have a Canon PIXMA TS6020 that I bought on deep discount off the floor at Staples (maybe Office Max) and it isn't cheap with ink but I print maybe 20 pages a year. It does scan, though, and I use that a lot.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
If one of the features you want in a printer is auto duplex printing, then you’ll have to get a laser printer. Table top laser printers with the auto duplex feature work by printing on one side of the page first, then it ejects the page but not all the way out, then it pulls the page back into the printer, then it prints on the reverse side of the page, and then ejects the page all the way out and into the output hopper tray.

I don’t think ink-jet printers can print in an auto duplex mode. They can print manually duplex by you feeding the pages already printed on one side back into the printer to print on the reverse side.

Check the printer’s owner’s manual to see if it supports the larger sized music score sheets. I currently don’t have a home printer but the one I used to have could handle up to banner size paper which 11 by 17.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qaanaaq-Liaaq:
If one of the features you want in a printer is auto duplex printing, then you’ll have to get a laser printer. Table top laser printers with the auto duplex feature work by printing on one side of the page first, then it ejects the page but not all the way out, then it pulls the page back into the printer, then it prints on the reverse side of the page, and then ejects the page all the way out and into the output hopper tray.

I don’t think ink-jet printers can print in an auto duplex mode. They can print manually duplex by you feeding the pages already printed on one side back into the printer to print on the reverse side.

Check the printer’s owner’s manual to see if it supports the larger sized music score sheets. I currently don’t have a home printer but the one I used to have could handle up to banner size paper which 11 by 17.

My inkjet will print double sided in the way you describe!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the general consensus is that lasers are better, faster and more expensive to purchase. If you don't need all that speed and power, the cost might not be worth it.

Yeah the more I read, I'm thinking a laser jet isn't right for what we need.

QL, my current printer (HP OfficeJet, so it's an inkjet) does duplexing exactly as you describe.

That's actually one of the features that's going buggy. Some how it sometimes gets hung up (like, as if it were a connectivity problem) in the middle of a big job. But instead of realizing that it has already printing out half of the job, and only re-print the unfinished portion, it starts over from the very beginning. I had it re-print a forty page document just because it got hung up at the very end. Super annoying.

So now I have to watch it, and I usually send print job a few pages at a time. Which is a huge PITA....

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I have an Epson inkjet that does duplex printing.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Interested to see what you end up with. I’ve been lookin for a new inkjet too - ours is really old HP Deskjec 3052A (with a scanner) We have a laser printer for the black and white stuff but I need the color one because I make note cards from my paintings to sell at the gallery. My issue is finding one that can handle heavy card stock (I have to push the cardstock into the current printer to get it to work) When I went to look at Staples, they told me I should get the 9015 you mentioned at the beginning (it handles card stock really well). Other issue is there seems to be a lack of availability of printers (covid and work at home, I think) so not many to choose from - we ran into that problem in New Jersey when we tried to get my stepmother a new printer - hardly any in stock.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20461 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Jodi, the only thing that's putting me off of the HP 9015e is the ink subscription. I really don't want to do a subscription because I think my home printing is going to decrease quite a bit come fall. Plus, I sort of have a rule to avoid any subscriptions that I possibly can....

But if you're ok with subscribing to ink, then probably the HP OfficJet 9015e is the one to go with from everything I'm reading. Esp. if you print with colored ink a lot, I think that makes it more cost effective, because they record your printing by the page regardless of whether you're printing in BW or color. Also, I'm pretty sure it's in stock on Amazon and HP's site.

I think I'm going to look at the different Canon Pixma models if I decide I really don't want to do the ink subscription. The trouble is, there are sooo many iterations, it's hard to figure out where to start!

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Our printer is an HP Office Jet Pro 9010. Ink jet, color, crisp. Good reviews from CR and Amazon. We bought it last year because Mr. AM needed decent looking printing from home during the pandemic. No going into the office.

I print in draft mode, and it looks fine to me; it’s way better than the prints we were getting from our Canon printer. We haven’t had to buy ink yet.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Is a subscription the only way to buy ink for that HP printer? Can't you opt out?

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is a subscription the only way to buy ink for that HP printer? Can't you opt out?

I believe you can opt out, but for the life of the printer (even if you opt out), you have to be connected to the internet in order to print wirelessly. Otherwise, you have to use a USB cable.

So, not the end of the world... Also, I think the first 6 months of ink are free... so I could do that and then opt out....

I have reached peak wishy-washy!! WhoMe

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I believe you can opt out, but for the life of the printer (even if you opt out), you have to be connected to the internet in order to print wirelessly.

Aren't all wireless printers that way? (Except maybe Air Print)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I don't think that my Canon Pixma printer needs to be connected to the internet in order to print wirelessly.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post