well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    World's best pasta sauce
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World's best pasta sauce
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Marcella Hazan's recipe. I've never tried it....

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I used to have her Italian cooking book. I bought a tattered copy in a cute bookstore in central New Jersey, and I have it to thank for bringing silverfish to my bookshelf.

However.

It’s a great book, and I do swear by her pasta al pesto. But there are hundreds of excellent Italian tomato sauce recipes; you can hardly go wrong. If you’re not a fan of lots of butter, for example, there are plenty of options.

Luxuriating in late tomato season right here, right now.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’ve been meaning to try that, but the thought of butter in the sauce is off-putting. I mean, I get plenty of fat in my diet already…should I really add more? Is it worth it?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Hmmm not so sure about onions…

But I could see butter…

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
“Worlds Best”, you say? Onion infused canned tomatoes with butter? Might be good, but I don’t know that I’d qualify it as a proper pasta sauce, much less worlds best anything. With that much butter it might be a French interpretation.

Mrs. Miller makes the best red sauce I’ve ever had anywhere, so much so that I never order red sauce in a restaurant. Even the sauces in Italy weren’t as good, IMHO. Hers is an Americanized version of the classic Italian meat gravy and it’s the one I like.

I don’t make it because she makes it better. I don’t think it’s written down but I’ll see if I can get the recipe from her when I get home.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Turns out it's from the 'net:

World's best pasta sauce

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That looks great. Will definitely give it a try.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
There’s a big Italian-American population where I live, and people buy fresh Roma tomatoes in season, in quantity, to make sauce. Canned are pretty good, but if you use fresh ones (with all the extra work involved) you will taste a difference.

I suspect Hazan’s recipe was written at a time when those fresh tomatoes were harder to find outside of ethnic communities. Maybe.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I've made it. Wasn't that impressed. I like Rao's jarred sauces and my Italian neighbor's Sunday gravy. When he makes a pot we are often lucky enough to get a jar.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I grew up amongst Sicilians and their version of spaghetti sauce was more akin to what Steve posted.

Our Italian neighbor's recipe included sweet Italian sausage and pork neck bones, but no ground beef. The bones add a ton of flavor but do fall apart and the little pieces that remain in the sauce can be a bit of a hazard.

But damn, it was tasty.

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Turns out it's from the 'net:

World's best pasta sauce

That's closer to the way I make it (sans onions) -- for those of you who remember (correctly) that I generally don't cook, making my (Italian) grandma's sauce recipe, more recently lasagna, and a few other things (chocolate chip cookies) are the exceptions to that rule.

I make it to taste and even when I get the kind of tomatoes I like, they differ from time to time (from harvest to harvest??)

I have even been known to commit the biggest sin (gasp) and add sugar if those particular tomatoes call for it.

I think the trick to good sauce is really simple: 1) make it yourself, 2) give the process enough time, 3) use really good ingredients.

If you do all of those things, you'll get good results, even if your sauce doesn't taste like my sauce.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Had a Rachel Ray recipe that was quick and used fresh tomatoes. Will look for it.
With a resident Italian I leave cooking Italian dishes to him.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
People have made favorable comments about Rao's Marinara which Costco carries. We've tried some and it is good, but a bit oily.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I've made it. Wasn't that impressed. I like Rao's jarred sauces and my Italian neighbor's Sunday gravy. When he makes a pot we are often lucky enough to get a jar.

I like Rao's as well.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I would say my cats ask for it by name. But I think they want tuna instead.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post