well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    World's best pasta sauce
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World's best pasta sauce
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I cook a lot of Hazan's recipes, but not the pasta sauce. Too much butter, and I like starting with fresh tomatoes if I have the time.

Her pork simmered in milk is fabulous. Kosher too ... Big Grin

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Mmmmmm. Kosher pork…. Yummy

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
If you’re going to use canned tomatoes, San Marzanos are the ones you want. If you are going to use fresh you had best grow your own. Commercial tomatoes, even Romas, are universally terrible.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I cook a lot of Hazan's recipes, but not the pasta sauce. Too much butter, and I like starting with fresh tomatoes if I have the time.

Ummm.... pork in dairy is kosher?

No matter. i just bookmarked the recipe and that's next up. Love braises.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13559 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
If you’re going to use canned tomatoes, San Marzanos are the ones you want. If you are going to use fresh you had best grow your own. Commercial tomatoes, even Romas, are universally terrible.

It always amazed me that I could not buy a decent tomato when I lived in CA. That may be different now.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:

My auntie tells me that when our family had a restaurant, way back in the dark ages, Jewish customers would come and ask for the “kosher meat” dishes. (Pork, of course. Wink.) Chinese restaurant…

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Popularity Seeker
Picture of Catseye3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Hiya, Steve. Smiler

I was waiting to read all the posts before I added my mite; you're right about canned. But if you're relegated to canned, don't be afraid to add a wee pinch of sugar. Does wonders for balancing everything.
Like you say, grow your own, but then can them yourself. That might be your best shot.
Need to study on which onions to use, too.

"Success is measured by your discipline and inner peace." -- Mike Ditka

Posts: 753 | Registered: 27 December 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you by any chance have that recipe? I tried one that purported to be hers but it really did not work out very well.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My Mom used canned stewed tomatoes in her pasta sauce. It was sweeter than what we've been making lately for sure.

Might be time to try that again. ThumbsUp

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Let me know if you find stewed tomatoes. I looked in vain a few months ago. Even though it looks like they are still around, I couldn't find a store that carried them. I wonder if they've fallen out of favor....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Actually, “world’s best pasta sauce” doesn’t specify tomatoes. If you open up the field, there are other amazing, unusual types. Like pesto from walnuts or assortments of herbs, wine sauces, cream sauces…

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post