well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The perfect little MCM ranch
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The perfect little MCM ranch
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
1240 square feet. I could so live here. Love the colors, especially the kitchen cabinets. Has a bit of that Scandinavian modern look.

https://www.realtor.com/reales...7?from=srp-list-card

--------------------------------
When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38203 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
1240 square feet. I could so live here. Love the colors, especially the kitchen cabinets. Has a bit of that Scandinavian modern look.

https://www.realtor.com/reales...7?from=srp-list-card

A bit more ice-white than I prefer but that’s easy to fix.

Nice house!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35081 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
A bit more ice-white than I prefer but that’s easy to fix.

Normally, I like more depth of color and would probably warm up the wall color a bit if I had the energy to re-paint.

But I have to admit that I do like the crisp white with the medium-light wood tones on the floor and in the cabinets, and the contrast with the black windows. Could be perked up with some accent colors in throws, pillows, and art.

Aside...windows with black frames are all the rage around here right now. That and a white exterior (either white siding or brick painted white).

Is this happening elsewhere, or is it just a Chicago thing?

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38203 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s “The Farmhouse Look” and you can thank Joanna Gaines for popularizing it. It’s everywhere - like manure in the barn.

Looks better on farmhouses than it does on mid century ranchers IMHO.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35081 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I don't find much to like about that house other than being a ranch. It's small, has very limited storage, the laundry is in the basement, there is no garage. I'd walk right past it.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7466 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Don't know why, but I seem to be gravitating towards smaller spaces. We're downsizing items like crazy. I think I'm tired of dusting stuff and want it gone.

2 car garage in the back. Driveway isn't obvious but is on the left side of the house.

And yes, would prefer laundry upstairs.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Intelligent interior design.

Reminds me of an apartment.

What I would want in a house this size.

Very nice.

Posts: 25191 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
darn. i thought this was going to be about a ranch.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21536 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
as for the house--everything i dislike about how houses are now. the starkness of black and white--ugh. kitchen in the living room--forget it. Tiny bedrooms--total deal breaker. Half the living space is in the basement--no, no, no.

I want warmth, color, large separated rooms, and if I need another story it will be upstairs where there is sunlight and a view, not in some subterranean warren.

My ideal house is from around 1910 and has high ceilings, a foyer at the front entry, a deep front porch, separated living room/dining room/kitchen, window seats, fireplaces, tall windows, nooks to curl up in with a book, privacy from other household denizens, big bedrooms with views, a 6' bathtub by a window, and richly colored walls that will look great with persian rugs. Oh, and a butler's pantry between the kitchen and the dining room!

Why don't they build houses like this any more? :wailing:

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21536 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I cannot deal with the stark black and white.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm changing my mind.

I really do like all of it, but the fact that half of it is a basement.

The possible risk of damage due to water and/or humidity makes it a no vote for me.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Almost perfect.

We’re looking ahead to one level living options. Condo building with elevator? One story house? Elevator on our current house? Living mostly on one floor of our current house?

Almost went to look at a 1916 Craftsman, one story. 3 BR 1 Ba on the main, and a ton of living space in the basement. Realized I don’t want to pay for all that lovely basement space if we won’t be able to use it in a reasonable way.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9850 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Elevator FTW! Lol. Smiler

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I like the interior, the white and black trim and the warm-colored wood flooring. I would add a ton of colorful artwork to the walls though...

quote:
We’re looking ahead to one level living options. Condo building with elevator? One story house? Elevator on our current house? Living mostly on one floor of our current house?

AdagioM, our new house can function as one level living. The main floor has kitchen, living, washer/dryer, two bathrooms (one of which has a walk-in shower) and three bedrooms. The walk-out basement will have Mr. SK's studio and our exercise room (and there's another full bathroom down there). But if one of us had mobility issues and couldn't go down there, it wouldn't impact our ability to live in the house.

If both of us couldn't go down there, that probably wouldn't be great just from a maintenance standpoint, but I think it's unlikely that both of us would have mobility issues for many, many years.

But I definitely noticed that about this house right away, that it had all the important things on the main floor, and the basement is all just bonus.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I like the interior, the white and black trim and the warm-colored wood flooring. I would add a ton of colorful artwork to the walls though...

quote:

AdagioM, our new house can function as one level living. The main floor has kitchen, living, washer/dryer, two bathrooms (one of which has a walk-in shower) and three bedrooms. The walk-out basement will have Mr. SK's studio and our exercise room (and there's another full bathroom down there). But if one of us had mobility issues and couldn't go down there, it wouldn't impact our ability to live in the house.

If both of us couldn't go down there, that probably wouldn't be great just from a maintenance standpoint, but I think it's unlikely that both of us would have mobility issues for many, many years.

But I definitely noticed that about this house right away, that it had all the important things on the main floor, and the basement is all just bonus.

Yes. I think all I need to do to extend our time in this house is redo the first floor bath to add a shower. The den can function as a bedroom if needed. This would leave a lot of space upstairs, but one of us would still be using most of it! Right now it has 3 BR (so our bedroom plus two office spaces), and 2 full baths.

But it would cost less to just add the shower downstairs instead of moving to a smaller space that costs as much or more than we’d get from selling our current house.

Mr. AM was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease last year, so these are all things that we’re thinking about. (His symptoms are mild and he’s doing well. We’re just thinking ahead.)

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9850 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post