well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Whoopi Goldberg suspended
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whoopi Goldberg suspended
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
“Race” was used differently 75 years ago also. Churchill often talked about the “British race”.

Comment was dumb, but the suspension is dumber.

Someone said that these PR-driven ‘cool off’ periods that companies impose after a controversial comment will from now on be known as “Whoopi cushions”

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

Someone said that these PR-driven ‘cool off’ periods that companies impose after a controversial comment will from now on be known as “Whoopi cushions”

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Oh, and if they’re going to suspend a host every time they make a dumb comment they might as well cancel the show.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Homosexuals contributed very little to diluting the Aryan race.

If I had a joke about the nose of Sammy Davis Jr would I post it here?
(I don't have the joke)

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Oh, and if they’re going to suspend a host every time they make a dumb comment they might as well cancel the show.

ThumbsUp Have never seen it, but I can imagine.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Comment was dumb, but the suspension is dumber.

Yep.

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Whoopi Goldberg's ignorance is an embarrassment to the show. And in itself is a very strong argument in favor of teaching "Maus" in public schools.

It is terrifying that someone in her position is so ignorant of what the Holocaust was about. If we don't have a larger population educated about persecution of the Jews, it makes it that much easier for it to happen again.

The network needed to make a strong public statement repudiating her ignorance. The media dust-up is good. It shines a bright light on a larger problem of lack of awareness. It produced conversations like these, which make all of us think.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I don’t think we have any members of the Tennessee school board participating here.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
So where is it taught that the Jews are a race?

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I don’t think we have any members of the Tennessee school board participating here.

I imagine we are not the only group of people having this conversation. The Tennessee school board's ignorance is not surprising. Whoopi Goldberg's is.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
So where is it taught that the Jews are a race?

What should be taught is that the Holocaust was an outcome of racism taken to an extreme degree. While most people today don't consider Jews to be a race, their persecution is racism when its perpetrators believe Jews are a race. Hitler's intent was to eliminate an entire race of people. That is racism, regardless of if they are a race or not.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Here is a thoughtful and balanced essay about the whole conundrum:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/...opi-goldberg-jewish/

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Here's another essay on the history of how we think of race. Jews were classified as a different race until after WWII:

https://jwa.org/teach/livingth...ivil-rights-movement

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
Whoopi Goldberg's ignorance is an embarrassment to the show. And in itself is a very strong argument in favor of teaching "Maus" in public schools.

It is terrifying that someone in her position is so ignorant of what the Holocaust was about. If we don't have a larger population educated about persecution of the Jews, it makes it that much easier for it to happen again.

The network needed to make a strong public statement repudiating her ignorance. The media dust-up is good. It shines a bright light on a larger problem of lack of awareness. It produced conversations like these, which make all of us think.
Thanks for posting the links. I’ll take a look.

But it seems over the top to suggest that anyone who starts off with a different understanding is ignorant.

That sweeps in a whole lot of people, especially when you said that the phrase “the Jewish race” is problematic.

Do you see why a person who has been told the “the Jewish race” is offensive might conclude that Jewish people do not wish to be considered a race?

And this feels like a situation where we are eating our young. Whoopi got the most important parts right. The Holocaust was yet another example of mans inhumanity to man, it was motivated in large part by hatred of Jews, it happened, and it is important. That she was unaware of how Hitler chose to frame it up is not unforgivable.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
German children (not sure how many) are taken to Dachau and other camps.
That should make it real.
I would favor something similar in this country. Things like the massacre in Tulsa could also become part of what is taught.
Will not be holding my breath.