well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Help! Guitar storage (Mark? Anyone?)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Guitar storage (Mark? Anyone?)
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
So, we have an acoustic guitar (classical style, nylon string). It's in a hard case, oh and it's nothing fancy, a good beginners guitar, a "Greg Bennett" by Samick.

It hasn't been played or tuned since before covid, and I didn't loosen the strings the last time it was put away (I know, I know).

It's going to go on the moving truck (I know, I know) and then storage for a few weeks before coming back to me. Not climate controlled storage btw, so it make not make it through that without sustaining some damage or being ruined. But it might. Way back when, I shipped (via sea) a similar guitar to Japan with nothing but the hard case and the box to protect it, and it came out ok, so I thought it's worth a try.

So, should I just loosen the strings? How much?

Or, should I take the strings off completely?

If I'm loosening, can someone remind me which way is loose? Will I automatically know? suave

Thanks in advance!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
There is no need to loosen the strings in a well built guitar for storage, but loosen them a bit if it makes you feel better.
A moisture pack, like those from D'addario or Boveda would be good. They are essential in a dry climate. It the air is dry the neck may bend. Most classical guitars do not have a truss rod in the neck.
In my experience an acoustic guitar has metal strings. A classical guitar has nylon or flourocarbon strings.
Opinions on these guitar matters vary. I expect to be contradicted.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
There is no need to loosen the strings in a well built guitar for storage, but loosen them a bit if it makes you feel better.
A moisture pack, like those from D'addario or Boveda would be good. They are essential in a dry climate. It the air is dry the neck may bend. Most classical guitars do not have a truss rod in the neck.
In my experience an acoustic guitar has metal strings. A classical guitar has nylon or flourocarbon strings.
Opinions on these guitar matters vary. I expect to be contradicted.

+1 especially on the Boveda humidity packs.

Boveda 49% Two-Way Humidity Control Packs for Music Bows & Small Woodwinds – Size 8 – 10 Pack – Moisture Absorbers for Small Instrument Cases – Humidifier Packs – Hydration Packets in Resealable Bag https://a.co/d/aoXmVbm

Posts: 13637 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
+1. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34990 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!

So, no worries about the string tension then?

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Thanks everyone!

So, no worries about the string tension then?

No worries.

Posts: 13637 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Great thanks!!

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
Will it be transported through humid areas or in arid areas? If humid areas, desiccants reduce the humidity in a sealed container. You can buy it at a hardware store. When I ordered my bass guitar and hard carrying case, Ibanez, the manufacturer had already placed a desiccant in the case with the bass for shipping.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Given the weather and the temps, I don’t think high humidity will be an issue… I’m not sure though actually.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qaanaaq-Liaaq:
Will it be transported through humid areas or in arid areas? If humid areas, desiccants reduce the humidity in a sealed container. You can buy it at a hardware store. When I ordered my bass guitar and hard carrying case, Ibanez, the manufacturer had already placed a desiccant in the case with the bass for shipping.

If I'm not mistaken, the Boveda products maintain the proper humidity no matter what the external conditions.

https://bovedainc.com/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by Qaanaaq-Liaaq:

If I'm not mistaken, the Boveda products maintain the proper humidity no matter what the external conditions.

https://bovedainc.com/

They do but to a point. They can be overwhelmed in either direction by the environment.