well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Woodpecker

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodpecker
 Login/Join

Semi-Regular
posted

Found this little fella happily pecking away in the yard.

Does that mean there is a worm in my tree?

Posts: 122 | Registered: 12 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
A classic!

I wonder how fast they move their necks when they do that…

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Looks like a little Downy.

Posts: 12550 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

Looking for love....

quote:
Both sexes drum on trees to claim territories, attract mates, and signal readiness for mating.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/...ny_Woodpecker/sounds

Scientists are still trying to figure out how they manage to drum like that without hurting themselves...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Not sweet if it's your house. I have to repair woodpecker damage every year or two.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
My worst encounter with a woodpecker was when the Yellow Bellied Sapsucker decided to set up shop on my property. I'm a bird lover, but the YBS gratuitously kills off trees. Any small holly is destroyed by its methods.

The bird drills small holes in the bark and laps up the sap that drips out. The problem is that it drills completely around the entire trunk, cutting the circulatory system from the upper tree to its root system. Within weeks the tree dies if the YBS is allowed to complete its drilling.

Posts: 12550 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I've learned to communicate with birds. I never paid attention to them before now but there's an apple tree outside my bedroom (and the porch).

I bark at them once. They look at me. I bark twice. They fly away.

On the other hand, 'garden lizards' make friends with me and vice versa.

I'll see the same ones day after day. They remember me. I spend a few pleasant moments with them when I get the chance.

Posts: 24740 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post