well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Confessions of a Tableside Flambéur

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Confessions of a Tableside Flambéur
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A former fine dining server dishes on how the flambé, a dying convention of French haute cuisine, became the ultimate tableside flex

I can feel sweat soaking through the armpits of my $5,000 Tom Ford suit and a nagging itch along the starched collar of my custom-fitted tuxedo shirt. Even though I’m working at one of the most popular restaurants in New York City, I’m dressed better than most of the men in the dining room. I pour a healthy shot of 151-proof rum into an antique jigger and raise the flame on the butane burner inside the flambé cart. I’ve performed this carnival trick hundreds of times, but for some reason, I still get queasy the moment before the pan ignites.

https://www.eater.com/23893292...fessions-fine-dining

Back in my younger youth, I used to have a small alcohol burner that I used to prepare Steak Diane or crepes suzette tableside.

Dinners around here are a lot less complicated these days.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37882 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't flambe very often anymore either.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I think it's still a big thing in New Orleans, or it still was when I was there just prepandemic.

Bananas Foster is set aflame tableside, and it's so popular that I recall restaurants having a choice of fruits that could be "Fostered." Or "Jubileed" if they were cherries.

I also remember savory foods being flambeed for appetizers and entrees, which makes sense, since they're set up for it. If I'm not mistaken, I saw other tableside-showmanship dishes like caesar salads being made.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
https://news.cornell.edu/stori...-seem-enhance-flavor

Cornell University study: flambé does not seem to enhance flavor.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
On a related note, I read recently that the alcohol in the popular vodka sauce on pasta really does cause changes in flavors of the dish’s ingredients, even though vodka itself is rather tasteless. If I find the link, I’ll post it.

Vodka sauce chemistry

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
Does melting sugar on my creme brulee with a bunson burner count
Big Grin

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 378 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
No, but I would argue it is a greater skill. To get that sugar crust just right takes practice. Lighting alcohol is easy, you just have to not catch anything else on fire.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
Flambe cooking especially with Everclear is dangerous. Read this article titled “Burned” about what happened to a waitress in a Greek restaurant in which saganaki (flaming cheese) was being prepared:

https://chicagoreader.com/news-politics/burned/

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
wow, that's some story.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37882 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
On a related note, I read recently that the alcohol in the popular vodka sauce on pasta really does cause changes in flavors of the dish’s ingredients, even though vodka itself is rather tasteless. If I find the link, I’ll post it.

Vodka sauce chemistry

I just saw a YouTube video where the guy tested various spirits and decided that gin make a superior sauce.

I’m gonna give it a try - I keep it on hand! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post