well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Vegan Cheese ...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vegan Cheese ...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
... was set to win a big prestigious cheese competition. The maker had already been notified that his "cheese" had won the blind tasting ...

and then the plot curdled

I'm intrigued enough to try this "cheese." Finding it may be difficult.

Posts: 12565 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Vegan cheese. Preposterous.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13566 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
The vegan cheese I’ve had varies from awful to meh. Maybe this one is a breakthrough.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13821 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Hmm, interesting. I would try it. I'm not vegan (or vegetarian) so it would just be out of curiosity.

As an aside, the article includes lots of fun terminology -- cheese terminology even.

"fraudulent cheese," "alt-milk" ... "our historical understanding of what cheeses are" Big Grin

Jokes aside, I do sort of agree with this:
quote:
“These are engineered products. And they’re part of a financialized food system that’s fueled by venture capital and disconnected from nature,”

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18591 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t mind trying vegan cheeses.
I don’t mind “engineered” food.
I have never paid attention to the Good Food award, and will most likely continue not to.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12697 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big fan of overly processed and engineered food either, (except for ICE cream).

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
I have yet to try vegan cheese but I will definitely be on the lookout for Climax Blue. Let it not be lost that it won top award in a blind test. And shame on Good Foods; I can't abide cheats.

Personally, I'll take engineered food any day over animals that were given less than a humane life. Impossible Burger? Yep. And it's surprisingly good. But better than that even, is working with vegetables as much as possible.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10575 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let it not be lost that it won top award in a blind test. And shame on Good Foods; I can't abide cheats.

Good point!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18591 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Bob makes pizza with vegan cheeses that he found at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.
I like the pizzas.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
The vegan cheese I’ve had varies from awful to meh. Maybe this one is a breakthrough.

Joe, I wish I had half your knowledge of food.

I ordered a vegan sandwich the other day from a vegan restaurant on Uber Eats. I enjoyed it. I particularly liked the avocado and cilantro.

But it was about half the size I wanted and the price was ridiculous.

I'm not a good cook and a worse shopper.

BTW, the food in Florida kind of sucks. It's no Staten Island in terms of variety. The food in Hawaii was excellent. I miss it.

Posts: 24760 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
BTW, the food in Florida kind of sucks. It's no Staten Island in terms of variety. The food in Hawaii was excellent. I miss it.

I don't know where you are in Florida, but I've regularly visited Ft. Lauderdale and Delray Beach, and (at least in those cities) the restaurant food has been pretty good. Possibly less so in the outlying areas (my son lived in central FL for a time, and yes, the food available there was pretty much diner fare.)

Staten Island has some good food and unusual ethnic restaurants, but is no food paradise if you compare it to Manhattan or even Brooklyn. We don't even have a Whole Foods. But we're famous for pizza!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13821 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Smiler

Posts: 24760 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post