well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Take a Stand 6! Minced!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take a Stand 6! Minced!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Minced garlic:

Fresh or pre-chopped in a jar?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Frozen. Love this stuff. Also for ginger, basil, cilantro, etc. Also use fresh a lot.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Frozen. Love this stuff. Also for ginger, basil, cilantro, etc. Also use fresh a lot.

I had forgotten about that stuff. Used to get it at TJ but now I never shop there. I’ll have to look for it - and the parsley version too. Fresh parsley doesn't last long in the fridge.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Fresh. Though right now the only fresh available is imported and horrible. Maybe I should look for the frozen stuff.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It's at Whole Foods, but Wild Fork has a better selection and much better prices - like 2/3 the price.

Pro tip: Pop them out while still frozen hard.

https://wildforkfoods.com/search?q=dorot+frozen

Dorot Gardens offers a signature line of pre-portioned fresh garlic and herbs. They grow their own garlic and then at peak freshness, they process and flash-freeze it into convenient portioning trays within 90 minutes of harvest. With a two-year shelf life, you can have fresh garlic year-round with the simple “pop” of the tray.

Country of Origin: Israel

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I've been using the stuff in a jar and I really can't tell the difference once it's cooked.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty lazy; I use the stuff in a jar if it’s not going to be the predominant flavor agent.

For scampi, I go fresh. It’s a pain in the neck.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9798 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
It's at Whole Foods, but Wild Fork has a better selection and much better prices - like 2/3 the price.

Pro tip: Pop them out while still frozen hard.

https://wildforkfoods.com/search?q=dorot+frozen

Dorot Gardens offers a signature line of pre-portioned fresh garlic and herbs. They grow their own garlic and then at peak freshness, they process and flash-freeze it into convenient portioning trays within 90 minutes of harvest. With a two-year shelf life, you can have fresh garlic year-round with the simple “pop” of the tray.

Country of Origin: Israel

I've been buying the Dorot Gardens ginger at Trader Joe's and have seen the garlic there too. Great stuff.

I don't use much garlic, so a jar would be a waste for us. When I do need it, I use the hardneck bulbs that our CSA farmer grows. There are six large cloves in each bulb, and the heads keep really well in the dark down in the basement.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37872 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Fresh.

The minced garlic in a jar has a softer texture that honestly wouldn't matter much in most dishes, but it also has a pungent and "off" flavor and aroma that overpowers any dish I've ever used it in.

I actually prefer garlic powder to the jarred garlic. It loses the volatile "high notes" of its flavor and aroma to processing, but the flavor that remains is pleasant enough.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
It's fresh around our house. While I've been limited in my mobility, my food prep task has been serving as sous chef, a job I can do while seated at a table. I've become pretty adept at mincing garlic. When I was in our own home, I'd often use a garlic press to demolish the cloves for some dishes, but my daughter doesn't have one.

I used to buy jarred minced garlic for speed and convenience, but I don't like it so well and I have time to spare.

I am interested in checking out the frozen garlic and herbs, mostly as a resource for herbs that are not readily available in the winter or that are exorbitantly priced for little pots in the stores.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7400 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Fresh, pressed! I'm not a fan of mincing garlic when a good garlic press does the job.

I have this one from Wms Sonoma

If the link goes to their general page, it's the "open kitchen" one that's $19.95. Worth every penny. Mine came with a plastic thingy that fit into the holes that you could use to push the extra out, and made cleaning super easy. Then it inadvertently fell into the disposal and got eaten. Still worth it, but I do miss that plastic thingy.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Fresh.

The minced garlic in a jar has a softer texture that honestly wouldn't matter much in most dishes, but it also has a pungent and "off" flavor and aroma that overpowers any dish I've ever used it in.

Interesting. I’ll have to do a taste test against the frozen one.