well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Time to switch culinary gears
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to switch culinary gears
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Nina, I don't have a great lentil recipe to share, except to say that a heavy dose of curry powder or of a mix of Ethiopian spices gives it kind of a dal vibe. If I've got something crunchy or piquant to garnish it with, like fried onion slices or chopped tomato or yogurt, that's a plus.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
AM posted a recipe for a very good lentil soup.

https://well-temperedforum.gro...561031166#7561031166

I make borscht but I can't locate the recipe right now. Thought I bookmarked it but it may have been a recipe from a Lithuanian cookbook.

I use beef shanks and a ham hock (ode to my Mom's version, which had to have a smoky pork thing in it or my grandfather wouldn't eat it) to make the stock, and then grate roasted beets into the finished stock. I also rehydrate some dried wild mushrooms, chop them up and throw them in. Can also use the soaking liquid in the soup if you filter it to keep out the gritty sediment.
Sour cream stirred in at serving time.

We also like to add little meat or mushroom koldūnai, either boiled separately or directly in the soup. Koldūnai are the Lithuanian version of a small dumpling. Think pelmeni or tortellini.

I'll poke around my cookbooks and see what I come up with.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I'm in search of two things: a good lentil soup recipe that's got some flavor beyond the lentils, and a good borscht recipe.

Does anyone have any they'd recommend?

I haven't tried this yet but I have some lentils and it's on my list. The sausage and the kale would definitely up the flavor.

Cozy Cook Lentil and Sausage Soup.

Cozy Cook has become our go-to for recipes lately, so much so that we bought her cookbook even though her recipes are all on line. She uses more herbs than most cooks and so far everything we have tried has been delicious!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Sharon made this recipe last week:

Marry Me Chicken

The pan sauce was delicious!

Both of us really liked this! I think I would add some mushrooms next time. But we're big fans of mushrooms...

Glad you liked it! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
We made this tonight and it was INCREDIBLE! We uses Momofuku Chile Crisp. I will have to figure out another chile crisp source because the shipping/US exchange makes the Momofuku stuff pretty spendy but we can no longer live without chile crisp in our lives!

https://cooking.nytimes.com/re...=ck-recipe-iOS-share

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
dol, I couldn't get past the paywall but think I found the recipe, or at least one that I think has the same name.

Is this it?

https://blythesblog.com/recipe...lfredo-with-spinach/

And while I was on Blythe's blog I found this recipe for Honey Lime & Sriracha Shrimp that sounded really good:

https://blythesblog.com/2017/0...ime-sriracha-shrimp/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
dol, I couldn't get past the paywall but think I found the recipe, or at least one that I think has the same name.

Is this it?

https://blythesblog.com/recipe...lfredo-with-spinach/

And while I was on Blythe's blog I found this recipe for Honey Lime & Sriracha Shrimp that sounded really good:

https://blythesblog.com/2017/0...ime-sriracha-shrimp/

That’s the one - word for word!

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Recently I was asked to cook one night for a five-day horse clinic in Utah. And everyone is a vegetarian! Fifteen people. and a seven hour drive from home.

I had a few stand-bys that I could make ahead and toss in a cooler with some ice and serve cold, but it really wasn't warm enough out to not serve something hot after 8 hours of sitting in an ice-cold indoor arena. And the host's kitchen is very cluttered and hard to maneuver in.

So I invented a new dish! Rattatouile made up like lasagna, but without any noodles. I used long slices of roasted zucchini for the noodles. Just made it again at home last night for me and mr. pique, and it was even better than when I had to make the rattatoule two days ahead and refrigerate it.

Here are the ingredients in the Rattatouile:

Eggplant peeled, sliced, salted, and roasted on a sheet under the broiler
Zucchini sliced and roasted under the broiler
Red, Yellow, and Orange bell peppers cut into quarters and roasted under the broiler
One yellow onion sliced thin and sauteed in olive oil in the bottom of a large, heavy pot
3 large cloves of garlic minced and added to the onion
one box of mushrooms sliced and added to the onion and garlic
Italian seasonings, rosemary, fresh basil, fresh dill sauteed with the onions/garlic/mushrooms
Cut up the roasted eggplant and peppers and add to the sautee
Add 4c up chopped fresh Marzano tomatoes
simmer
Add half a cup of red wine
capers
kalamata olives
simmer some more with the lid off until the mixture is well cooked and liquids have evaporated.

Lasagna:
Spread a layer of rattatouile in the bottom of the lasagna pan
Put a layer of broiled zucchini slices on top
Spread whole milk ricotta atop the zucchini
Spread a second layer of rattatouile on top of the ricotta
Spread thick shredded mozzarella atop the whole thing to the top of the pan

Cover in aluminum foil
Bake at 375 for 30 mins
Take the foil off
Sprinkle on fresh grated parmesan
Bake another 15 minutes without the foil until cheese topping is golden

Let sit 15 minutes so it will slice better.

And Yum!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Oh and P.S. next time I make this I will put in a layer of cooked ground bison in the lasagna.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Making this tomorrow for friends.

https://www.vincenzosplate.com...-shrimp-pasta-sauce/

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Hey, you never told me what time dinner is. Have I missed it?

Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sharon is out of town so I’m eating my own cooking. Made this dish last night and it’s outstanding! Ate it for dinner last night and breakfast this morning and now it’s all gone. Frowner

Greek style shrimp with tomatoes and feta.

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 small yellow onion (6 ounces), diced (1 cup)

3 cloves garlic, minced or finely grated

One (28-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with juices

1/4 teaspoon fine salt, plus more to taste

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste

2 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped

1 1/4 pounds shrimp (26 to 30 per pound), peeled, deveined and tails removed

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill (not a fan - I left it out)

2 1/2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)

Cooked orzo or rice, or crusty bread, for serving

Step 1
Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees.

Step 2
In a 12-inch ovenproof skillet, such as cast-iron, over medium heat, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until aromatic, another 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and bring to a lively simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick and saucy, about 10 minutes.

Step 3
Stir in the spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 1 minute, then remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in the shrimp and herbs, top with the feta cheese and transfer to the oven.

Step 4
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the shrimp is cooked through and the cheese is melted. Let rest for 5 minutes, then taste and season with additional salt and/or pepper, if desired.

Step 5
Serve with cooked orzo, rice or crusty bread to sop up the juices.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That recipe sounds like it's right up our alley...

Bazootiehead-in-training

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Sharon is out of town so I’m eating my own cooking. Made this dish last night and it’s outstanding! Ate it for dinner last night and breakfast this morning and now it’s all gone. Frowner

Greek style shrimp with tomatoes and feta.

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 small yellow onion (6 ounces), diced (1 cup)

3 cloves garlic, minced or finely grated

One (28-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with juices

1/4 teaspoon fine salt, plus more to taste

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste

2 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped

1 1/4 pounds shrimp (26 to 30 per pound), peeled, deveined and tails removed

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill (not a fan - I left it out)

2 1/2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)

Cooked orzo or rice, or crusty bread, for serving

Step 1
Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees.

Step 2
In a 12-inch ovenproof skillet, such as cast-iron, over medium heat, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until aromatic, another 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and bring to a lively simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick and saucy, about 10 minutes.

Step 3
Stir in the spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 1 minute, then remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in the shrimp and herbs, top with the feta cheese and transfer to the oven.

Step 4
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the shrimp is cooked through and the cheese is melted. Let rest for 5 minutes, then taste and season with additional salt and/or pepper, if desired.

Step 5
Serve with cooked orzo, rice or crusty bread to sop up the juices.

We made this similar dish a couple weeks back! So delicious and easy!
https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/shrimp-saganaki

Shrimp Saganaki
For shrimp saganaki, Greeks sauté shrimp in a pan with tomatoes, olives and feta cheese, then serve it right out of the skillet with bread to soak up all the delicious juices. Grace Parisi stirs fresh dill into her quick version to brighten the flavor.

Total Time: 30 mins
Yield: 4
Ingredients
2 tablespoons each of extra-virgin olive oil and canola oil

1 large onion, thinly sliced

6 plum tomatoes (1 1/4 pounds), coarsely chopped

Salt

Crushed red pepper

1 1/2 pounds shelled and deveined large shrimp, halved lengthwise

1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped

1/4 cup chopped fresh dill

3 ounces Greek feta cheese, crumbled

Crusty bread, for serving

Directions
In a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and crushed red pepper and cook until softened, crushing them with the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and olives and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are cooked through, about 3 minutes. Stir in the dill and half of the feta and cook just until the feta is hot, about 1 minute. Transfer to shallow bowls, sprinkle with the remaining feta and serve with crusty bread.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Yummy