well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Smoked Baguette

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoked Baguette
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted
Went to the farmer's market in my home town yesterday. long with other things, we bought a smoked baguette - it is delicious. Never knew you could smoke bread.

Served it up to friends last night with a garlic feta dip, also great.

Love farm markets.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
So, it's truly smoked? (i.e., not toasted in an oven like garlic bread) Does that make it taste significantly different?

Also,
quote:
garlic feta dip

That + the smoked baguette sounds super yummy!!! Ok, now I'm hungry! Yummy

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18543 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they smoke bake it or smoke it afterward, but either way it is delicious. Definitely a smoky flavor, more like charcoal than wood.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
There’s a weekly farmers market near me that I always go to. I like buying directly from a farmer and eliminating the middle man grocery store. Besides farmers selling fruit, vegetables, and herbs, there are artisan bread makers, bakers, cheese makers, and meat curers. You can also find bargains such as buying a 5 or 10 pound box of blueberries instead of buying them in those little cartons.

I bought a kohlrabi when I was there last week. It’s kind of a weird looking root vegetable. Never tasted it before and will have to consult google to see how to prepare it.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It looks like most people start by smoking the flour before making the bread.

Interesting!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Sounds kind of like what you get when you toast your hot-cereal grains before adding water.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of such a thing, but it sounds fantastic!

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post