well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Small engine carburetors

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small engine carburetors
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Not sure how many of you can use this info but it’s a universal problem. If you let a small engine sit for any length of time you’ll likely have trouble getting it started again. Fuel stabilizer doesn’t help, nor does running the engine dry before storing it. Modern gasoline destroys small engine carburetors.

I used to go for a carb rebuild at a shop but not any more. I’ve learned that you can buy a new Chinese knockoff carburetor on Amazon for about $20.

Game changer!

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Q: Ken, why is it that you have two snowblowers?

A: So when I need a snowblower, I have a better chance of starting one without having to take apart the carburetor.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Bought one for Mr wtg's Stihl chain saw a while back. Now he just has to get around to installing it.....I have a feeling that's another undone project that will get craigslisted....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I will never own another two-stroke engine as long as I live… although people… good people… say that two-stroke fuel doesn’t gum up carbs when you let it sit.

So, I bought a used four-stroke Honda string trimmer. It got hard to start. Then it ran lousy. Then it just died. Yeah. Carb rebuild kit: $8. Complete replacement carb (Chinese): $14. I should just buy a box of them and replace the carb every year.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of snowdog48
posted Hide Post
I keep mine in the house, use as part of my workouts. 8 pulls right-handed, 8 left-handed, 3 sets. Replacing carb would mean having to buy expensive gym equipment.

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or you're going to get locked up.
Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 16 | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

You'd get a real workout with our chain saw....the pull cord is almost totally locked up....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowdog48:
I keep mine in the house, use as part of my workouts. 8 pulls right-handed, 8 left-handed, 3 sets. Replacing carb would mean having to buy expensive gym equipment.

Smiler Smiler Smiler

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post