well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Take a Stand 12! EZ Payments

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take a Stand 12! EZ Payments
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Cars: Buy or lease?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Buy!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Buy. Then keep for 10-15 years.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

I do that too, generally a few years old. Cars last long enough that leasing doesn’t make sense any more.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Buy. I've bought most of my cars new, although my first two cars were bought used - one from my mother-in-law and one from my father. I also bought a used car after one of mine failed state inspection and I didn't have enough money to buy new and also one coming off lease in my employer's motor pool. The second one, a Ford Aerostar van, ended up going 278,000 miles. It was a great vehicle when I had four children at home.

Once I get them, I've generally driven them until the body rusts out or one of my children totals them. The exception was a VW Vanagon that had more issues by far than any other vehicle I ever owned. I junked it when both engine heads turned up cracked after a long series of problems large and small.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
+1

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Buy, cash. Hold until a kid needs a car. Pass it on.

(Kids no longer need cars passed on; that was 2010 and 2015. Older kiddo is still driving the 2003 Lexus sedan.)

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
quote:
+1

+another1

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Buy. Last time I got a 0% interest finance deal. I doubt that will be available next time around though! Hopefully my Jeep (currently with about 170,000 km on it) will last lots and lots more years so I don‘t have to worry about it.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
we're about to buy a *new* new car--for the first time. i've never owned a new car before. i expect it to last the rest of my life.

otoh, if i see a good deal on just the car i want that is only a few years old...

thinking of getting the new subaru forester touring model. need the heated seats, heated steering wheel, orthopedic leather seats... plan is to have it be our road trip car.

anyone have one?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
We have a 2017 Subaru Forester and generally have been happy with it. Early on, there were problems with the AC but they were repaired under warranty and it's been OK since. It is almost always the vehicle we use for road trips.

My major reservation is that the small naturally aspirated engine is not particularly powerful. Ours has a manual transmission and there is some rowing between the gears required to accelerate at a moderate pace and to maintain speed on grades. Also, the infotainment system is not particularly user-friendly.

We drove an auto transmission model and then put a deposit down on the manual transmission model so we had limited test drive experience with the vehicle we purchased when it arrived at the dealer. This was not a problem for us but could be an issue if the seats do not suit your body after a longer ride.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i owned a 2005 forester, sold it to buy my Chevy truck, which I still have (and will keep). i never had an issue with the seats from that year. after suffering through several road trips in our honda CRV (honda has the worst seats on earth, i swear), just about anything has to feel better.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
oh and i forgot to answer the question. we will pay cash. makes no sense to take out a loan on a depreciating asset.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Buy vs lease...we buy, pay cash. Well, took out a loan once because it was zero percent financing on top of a rebate.

quote:
after suffering through several road trips in our honda CRV (honda has the worst seats on earth, i swear)

Have had several Hondas. Great cars but seats weren't that comfy for me either. Hard, flat, and not enough thigh support for someone my height. Difference in seat comfort between the Honda Odyssey and the Toyota Sienna was one of the main factors in our decision to buy the Toyota minivan.

Absolutely love the seats in our 2016 Outback.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post