well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Blue light and health

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue light and health
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
Sleep and health affected

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you work a night shift or use a lot of electronic devices at night, consider wearing blue-blocking glasses or installing an app that filters the blue/green wavelength at night.

Such an app, for Windows: https://justgetflux.com/

Been using it for several years. I actually have the filter on all day because I find the reducing the blue light is much easier on my eyes. Mr wtg doesn't use it, and when he logs onto my laptop under his user ID I'm like "My eyes! My eyes!"

There is also a blue light filter setting on Apple devices like the iPhone and iPad:

https://www.live2tech.com/wher...filter-on-an-iphone/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37957 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I'm a firm believer in trusting ones own bodily responses (I used to religiously follow online advice especially when it's as universally repeated as this one about blue light).

That said, I've always loved blue light at any time of day but especially at night. In Haifa I always turned on a blue nightlight at bed time, and it was part of the bedtime ritual my son and I followed.)

Accordingly, I refuse to follow this particular instruction about health and sleep because it's simply not how my brain physiology works. In fact, red or other warm lightwaves disturb me.
I wish "they" weren't so dogmatic about this - makes me feel delinquent when I put a blue tint on my laptop screen when I watch some Netflix serial before falling asleep. (I always DO reduce the brightness considerably.)

(I know watching such a thing is also forbidden!)

For me, it puts me right to sleep. (I sleep with my laptop - thanks to a large mattress I can avoid damaging it). The next day I have trouble finding where I was in the plot because I go into a semi-conscious state while it's still going. THAT's instead of reading!

SO shoot me.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Lol.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post