well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Marcella Hazan's pasta sauce

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marcella Hazan's pasta sauce
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I have to try this. Three ingredients.

quote:
Just as Julia Child changed the way Americans felt about French cooking, Marcella Hazan changed the way they felt about Italian cooking. And though she's not a household name the way Child is, you've probably seen a copy of Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking in a kitchen or two.

One of her most famous recipes is also the simplest. Her pasta sauce only requires three ingredients and less than an hour, as Delish alerts us.

First, the ingredients. You'll need a 28-ounce can of whole, peeled tomatoes; one peeled, halved onion; and 5 tablespoons of butter. (Yes, 5 whole tablespoons of butter.) You'll also want a pinch or two of salt.

Put everything together in a single pot and set it to simmer over medium heat on the stove for 45 minutes, uncovered. Give it the occasional stir.

And that's it. After the 45 minutes is up, toss out the onion halves, and pour the sauce over your favorite pasta. Easy.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37981 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I bought her book decades ago and cooked a lot from it. Good stuff!

In this recipe, the canned tomatoes will work, but I think the old Italians in my part of the world might insist on fresh Romas.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13821 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
OR...
dice a bunch of tomatoes
chiffon a bunch of basil
peel, slice or mash 2-3 cloves garlic

In a skillet, heat up olive oil, toss in garlic and saute under low heat (don't burn) for about a minute. Toss in tomatoes and basil, fling around long enough to heat everything. Add in (cooked) spaghetti, toss to coat and reheat pasta, if necessary.

Serve immediately. Top with good parmesan cheese.

Soooo delicious, and as basic and quick as it gets.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
It’s not pasta sauce without basil. Big Grin (Our standard is basil, garlic, red pepper flakes, olive oil and a can of diced tomatoes. The Romano cheese at the end provides the salt)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20468 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought her book decades ago and cooked a lot from it. Good stuff!

Yes

Her braised pork loin with milk has been a staple of my cooking for a quarter-century. The family "lurves" it. That's our expression for extreme love, compliments of Annie Hall.

Pork Loin Braised in Milk

Completely kosher ... Big Grin

Posts: 12564 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The old Italians where I grew up threw in tomato sauce, paste, puree, dried oregano,Italian sausage, and pork neckbones in their sauce. And simmered it for 2 or 3 hours. I think it's usually referred to as Sunday Gravy, but we just called it spaghetti sauce.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37981 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Oh, wow. That pork loin looks amazing and I will try it sometime when I want to lock myself in the kitchen all day.

I have some chard in the garden, so I'm going to try the gratin and salad for sure.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15518 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Mary Anna, if you want to experiment with another recipe, here's an Indian one from Alamelu. It's a Swiss chard and lentil dish. Starts at about 9 minutes...and when the demo is over, they actually give you the list of ingredients.

https://youtu.be/sS-VU-YVffg?t=552

Bazootiehead-in-training

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Postscript: I bought the Hazan book at a cute used bookstore in a little town in central New Jersey. It looked a little battered. After living in my bookshelf for a while, I discovered it harbored silverfish, which proceeded to attack my other cookbooks!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13821 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post