well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Even more basic than the iTunes thread

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Even more basic than the iTunes thread
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
I am so far behind the curve in music media that I still buy CDs. But there's so much interesting stuff out there that I need to get current.

My main listening is classical, or what is called contemporary-classical. Jon said in the other thread that streaming services suck for this.

Where can I find info on setting up a more modern system?

How does one listen to music these days? (Not for earbuds but at-home)

Should I have a laptop computer or smartphone which is somehow plugged into an amplifier and speakers for better sound quality? Are amplifiers even necessary? How do you connect a computer to your audio system?

And then call up the music you want on YouTube or Soundcloud or iTunes or its successor, or whatever, and hit Play?

What are bluetooth speakers? No cables I assume. Are they any good?

Rather than typing reams of info here, if there is a good rundown online about this very basic stuff, I'd appreciate knowing about it.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
This one might be intruiguing - $14.99/mo. It specializes in classical music and gives you the option to purchase as well. I can't assess how varied their options are, or how modern. I also like the fact that they pay their artists for streamed music.

As for speakers, I've used Sonos speakers. They're expensive, but not as much as "regular" speakers. They are totally wireless. If you are an audiophile perhaps you won't like them. My ear is not that super-refined. It runs via an app for your phone and/or PC/Mac. The user interface is meh, but it works. The huge advantage for me is lack of wires. We can move our speakers from room to room, or out on the deck if we're entertaining, etc. Apparently Costco sells a speaker 2-pack for $270.

Also, remember that Sonos is an online (streaming) service only. It will play most of the streaming services (but not sure about the classical one linked above): definitely will link to Spotify, Pandora, iTunes (and presumably whatever the new Apple service is). It won't play music from your turntable or CD player, I don't think. Also, it's not bluetooth-enabled, but requires and will run from your home wi-fi.

Here's a quick review of Sonos.

Posts: 35380 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Different sources have noted that Bluetooth is not for the audiophile.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I prefer buying cds and mostly play them on a Bose Wave in the kitchen.

All my music is also on my computer and the Cloud. I play on my laptop, which has a nice set of Bose speakers with subwoofer.

Finally, I can access my music from the cloud with my iPhone and play on a small Bose Bluetooth speaker or in the car.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
This just came across my Facebook feed:

https://www.primephonic.com/te...0_r3mAl7ntVe1x4riHPI

Posts: 45750 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post