well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Belarus Forces Passenger Jet to Land

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belarus Forces Passenger Jet to Land
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
So they can arrest a journalist on board

Lithuania calls for NATO response.

popcorn

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Strongly worded letter to follow.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
"NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said in a Tweet that the incident was serious and dangerous and required an international investigation."

Or we could use our 8th grade reading skills and take some kind of action soon.

Poor guy will be dead by the time of the investigation if what he said is true.

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Could be worse. The Ruskies would just have assigned one of their allied militias the task of shooting the plane down.

The European (and Dutch) response to that episode clearly rocked the commies back in their boots. Oh, they're not commies any more, I suppose. Can't really tell much of a difference.

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I don't think they were ever communists in a sense, but they were always Soviets. Lol.

Journalism isn't doing well today. Money and power seem to be crushing it from above.

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Faster than I Expected

Short of starting WWIII, this is a decent response, signed unanimously by all 27 EU members, including the authoritarian-leaning Hungarians.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Agreed - I'll be interested to see if the Biden administration also declares Belarus as a no fly zone for US airlines.

I'm not exactly up on flight paths, but it does seem as though it would primarily affect flights from the southern US cities (Dulles, Atlanta, LAX?) to Moscow. The others could just remain north.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
The primary "victims" of declaring Belarus off limits for aircraft transit are airlines and their passengers (mostly westerners). If it causes ticket pricing to go up on flights to Moscow, that might cost Putin a few kopecks. In any case, many western airlines have decided to avoid that airspace for their own reasons.

Keeping Belarus's own airline out of the EU might actually do some damage to the regime. They'll have to print up some more money to prevent the collapse of Belavia.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
They've also apparently detained Protasevich's girlfriend, a student in Lithuania, and a Russian citizen. Putin has nothing to say, as he wants to bring Belarus under his sway.

And they've released an obviously coerced "confession." This is awful.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Russia Thursday blocked at least two European planes from landing in Moscow because they planned to avoid Belarusian airspace after Belarus diverted a Lithuania-bound flight to detain a government dissident on Monday, U.S. News reports.

Why it matters: The move comes after the EU told European airlines not to fly over Belarus, and appears to seek to undermine the bloc's response to the country's strongman leader Aleksandr Lukashenko, an ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

https://www.axios.com/russia-b...9d-86f963e759a7.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
What a stupid play by Russia.

They cannot force EU planes to fly over Belarus, so they try the Blazing Saddles maneuver.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Agreed - is their plan to lock out all western flights from Moscow? how about St Petersburg,or any of the other airports in the country?

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I’d guess not all flights. Just two a day at random. Much more effective

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Effective at what? Making people, and airlines, shun flights to Moscow ... hence the Blazing Saddles reference.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Minimum effort to effect maximum irritation. And leaves open the chance of claiming you aren’t doing it or are doing it for legitimate reasons.

And people will still get on airplanes bound for Moscow in case they are allowed to land.

I wonder why they call the game “Russian Roulette”.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post