well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Meanwhile, in Telluride

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meanwhile, in Telluride
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
As locals are priced out, Colorado mountain towns fight to keep workers

Communities are turning to innovations, like lease limits and new taxes, to confront a housing shortage worsened by remote workers and second-home owners.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...ep-workers-rcna17970

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Currently, 11 percent of Breckenridge’s housing stock is resident-occupied, but its goal is 35 percent.

I keep re-reading this. Does this mean that 89% of Breck housing is rental or vacation homes? If so, that statistic is staggering. Even if the bulk of rentals are going to seasonal workers (for example, folks who work at the ski resorts/restaurants), the cost is still high enough that these places, I'm guessing, become little more than dorm rooms and crash pads.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I’m not surprised. The rapid shift to working remotely was accelerated by COVID, and people want to live in recreational areas like ski resorts. There are going to be major dislocation problems. It would be more of a surprise if there weren’t.

The bigger question is where you house the people who hold service jobs. In New York or Chicago, it’s the outlying suburbs or the cheaper neighborhoods. Those don’t exist in mountain towns, and there’s no mass transit. Plus, in a ski town, commuting from a distance may be impossible in bad weather.

Posts: 45741 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I’m wondering when the folks who moved to these places will decide they no longer want to stay because all the restaurants and stores closed due to lack of workers.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20459 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Exactly

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Breckenridge is 13 miles away. I vacationed there a number of times before moving to a nearby part of the county.
After a few years I only went there in May and September when parking was not so hard to find. The symphonic orchestra was not very good.
After a man I know gave the conductor some tips the National Repertory Orchestra improved a lot.
Now I only go there to see the dentist. A neighbor told me people were moving from Breck to where I live to get away from the madness.
No doubt a similar situation will occur here in time. Service workers are screaming about rental costs. Keystone added a lot of employee housing.
A friend in Aspen closed his upscale restaurant years ago. Workers were hard to find and had to bus in from an hour or more away.
"In Aspen, the billionaires have crowded out the millionaires"

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post