well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Sunglasses

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunglasses
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
We have perhaps a dozen pairs of sunglasses bought over years, even decades, just sitting in a drawer. Is there any way to tell if a pair meets the modern standards for eye protection? Like UV and I don’t know what else?

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13835 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I only know how to check if they're polarized. In case that helps, put something on your screen that's bright with some white in it... Like an email text or a reply in wtf.
Grab your glasses and hold them in front of your phone image, oriented as if you were looking through them, but you're holding them in your hand. Put one of the lenses in front of the image and rotate the glasses. If the image gets lighter/darker as you rotate, they're polarized. If the image stays the same, they're not.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I only know how to check if they're polarized. In case that helps, put something on your screen that's bright with some white in it... Like an email text or a reply in wtf.
Grab your glasses and hold them in front of your phone image, oriented as if you were looking through them, but you're holding them in your hand. Put one of the lenses in front of the image and rotate the glasses. If the image gets lighter/darker as you rotate, they're polarized. If the image stays the same, they're not.

Thank you

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25746 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Nina. In addition to that, I poked around a search engine that told me opticians can test your glasses to see how good they are with UV blockage.

Of course it’s easiest to just go buy new glasses that state what they can do!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13835 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
So here’s what I ended up with. I didn’t do any research or shopping around, just went to Costco to see what they had.

These are Maui Jim brand, and I picked them because the frames match my coloration. They have all the UV protection and are polarized. I didn’t realize the benefit of polarization until I started wearing them outdoors, and everything looks so much sharper! I am super happy with them.

They were expensive at $99 but seem very well made. And it was scary to see that the list prices are twice as expensive or more.