well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What’s in *your* kitchen?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s in *your* kitchen?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Do you have an egg beater? (The rotary kind or the spring kind)

An ice crusher?

A meat grinder? (PJ has entered the chat… Smiler)

A rotisserie?

What kitchen tools do you still use that have gone out of fashion?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35001 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I use it less often, because I serve big crowds less often, but I do still use my electric knife. I suspect we will have more guests in New York than we've had here--I suspect it has something to do with the fact that we can hop on public transportation and zip in to a Broadway show and back on a whim, but maybe they like us, too--so I think the old electric knife still has some useful life in it.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15522 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
My egg beater is .... a fork! Big Grin

Besides the usual blender and cuisinart, our main tool is a KitchenAid.

Posts: 12572 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The whisk seems to have replaced the egg beater these days, which makes me wonder how egg beaters got so popular.

Posts: 35001 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
The whisk seems to have replaced the egg beater these days, which makes me wonder how egg beaters got so popular.

Have you ever tried to make meringue with a whisk?

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4101 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
quote:

No, but is an egg beater any faster?

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
The kitchen sink. Although they are not out of fashion, I use mine to do dishes, which is out of fashion.

The toaster oven, ditto because I don't have a microwave.

A vintage Spong & Co. hand crank coffee grinder which I use every day, because the results are superior to the Krups electric. Plus, I like the hands-on mindfulness of hand cranking.

An antique and a vintage egg beater which I don't use very often, preferring to use a whisk, usually.

Several antique kitchen implements that I use occasionally because I like the connection to the past.

An antique meat press that I never use, but it looks cool.

A cast iron waffle maker.

A meat grinder.

An old Hachinette from France.

An antique fruit press that I haven't used yet, but plan to.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10577 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We have an antique potato masher from MrsTuner's grandparents...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7564 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Rotisserie?

Electric roaster? There were three roasters at the Huron house and I donated them. Now I’m thinking one might have been handy at Thanksgiving.

Electric skillet?

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I have an electric skillet and an electric griddle.

Like the electric knife, I use them when I'm feeding a crowd.

The skillet will make spaghetti sauce for eight.

With the griddle, I can make pancakes or French toast continuously until people stop asking for them. Smiler

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15522 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Just got an air fryer yesterday. been having fun with that. Great fries, does really well at reheating pizza. Trying either broccoli or pork chops in it tonight.

I love my electric knife too. On my second one.

My new range has a cast iron griddle you can use on the middle burners, but I prefer my electric griddle.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13579 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
We have an electric skillet that is used for certain dishes like country-fried steak and pork chops as well as to cook pancakes four at a time. We have an electric griddle, but it's usually not worth the time getting it from its storage space in the laundry room downstairs.

We have a meat grinder attachment for our KitchenAid mixer and the whisk on the mixer makes excellent whipped cream and meringue. A hand whisk is fine for mixing eggs for omelets or stirring sauces while cooking.

We use crock pots for slow-cooked meals like some soups and baked beans.

There's a potato masher in the drawer that is never used because the KitchenAid mixer does an admirable job with potatoes.

We have a juicer that squeezes the fruit to extract the juice that belonged to my mother.

We seldom use our food processor because I like to chop things up on a cutting board with a knife. I have several knives that I select from for different tasks with various vegetables.

We also have a pressure cooker, most often used for stews and some vegetables for quicker cooking times and a pressure canner for putting up jars of food, mostly vegetables.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7427 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
The kitchen sink. Although they are not out of fashion, I use mine to do dishes, which is out of fashion.

A vintage Spong & Co. hand crank coffee grinder which I use every day, because the results are superior to the Krups electric. Plus, I like the hands-on mindfulness of hand cranking.

An antique and a vintage egg beater which I don't use very often, preferring to use a whisk, usually.

We also use the sink for washing dishes. The dishwasher sits there, with its racks used mostly for air-drying excess dishes washed in the sink.

I have an old Spong coffee mill too! Bought circa 1970. Beautiful wooden crank handle. Still going strong, and the hand grinding is morning zen practice. What size is yours? Mine is a No. 2.

I had an old 1950s egg beater from my parents that I finally gave away, as I never used it. Heavy stainless steel. I just use a whisk for those rare times I'm using eggs.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13829 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
quote:

No, but is an egg beater any faster?

It’s not nearly as hard on the arm to beat eggs, especially when you need to get them to stiff peaks, with a geared egg beater than with a whisk. And yes, it’s faster with an egg beater.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4101 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We do have an ancient crock pot that I used at least once a week when the kids were in school. I have an electric knife sharpener. Other than that, I don't think we have any unusual appliances. We have the standard toaster, coffee maker, stand mixer (kitchen aid) and my latest is an air fryer, which we use a lot.

Crest just got too heavy and expensive. Our stock pots are Dansk ceramic, and we also have a really good wok and a mediocre rice cooker that get heavy use.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post