well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    In Isolation - COVID exposure
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In Isolation - COVID exposure
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
I was notified today that a staff member has tested positive as of today. All I was told is it was someone who was in the office everyday last week, as was I. Could be most of our staff! Big Grin

So I have called all I know to let them know. (I was in a small yoga class on Thursday)

I was already stocked up for Henri so I am good at home. I have a test on Monday and will probably test again later in the week.

I am feeling grateful as since we have been an essential service from the beginning, serving folks in need to get them food, sometimes while they are at home with COVID.

And yet, after more than a year, this is the FIRST time we have had a staff member test positive...And, I might add, ALL staff have been vaccinated.

So for me, no big deal. The landlord is doing a deep clean. Will be on work at home till we get more info. I have a testing site within walking distance and have an appointment for midday Monday.

This is the new normal. Shrug

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry you and your coworkers have this nuisance. but I must say you are a poster child for the right way to go about handling the Covid rules and regs.

Your office mates sound just as one would expect of people choosing a job revolving around helping the needy.

You're a good guy, BeeLady! I'm glad to learn of your activities and how this problem is being handled. That's especially so after just reading about an international ring of scammers who've successfully stolen billions (yes! Mad ) from the American Covid help program by identity theft.

(Other thread.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the purpose of the deep cleaning. That's not how COVID is transmitted, particularly if the office is empty for a few days.

There are so many more effective ways to spend that money.

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I don't understand the purpose of the deep cleaning. That's not how COVID is transmitted, particularly if the office is empty for a few days.

There are so many more effective ways to spend that money.

Yeah..but I think our landlord has not had many folks in the office so far..so they are going by old guidelines.

They love us, just sayin'..we are loud, messy, always coming and going..without us they would have nothing to do!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
It's hassle, but it looks like you will get over this just fine. So, enjoy the somewhat unusual but ultimately harmless (to you) ride, I suppose. Smiler

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Re "deep cleaning", I wonder when the word will get out to supermarkets (they still wipe down the check out counters and provide many sanitizing aids). That AND the plastic barriers between customer and cashier (which have recently been debunked, I think).

Besides my gym! I have an abbreviated way of spraying down the weight machines when I'm done all at once. Since I mostly go late, I often have them all to myself. Still such a nuisance, though, if even that is really a ritual rather than necessary.

FWIW I have not yet heard that droplets on surfaces (from sneezes or whatever) are NOT possible sources of transmission. That is, even if overall, air-borne aerosols are the most dangerous vectors of the virus.

It seems that the longer this goes on, the more behavior is becoming ritualistic rather than science-driven. We're engaged in warding off behavior rather than (known) useful ways of limiting exposure.

Is there ANY centralized source of (more or less) consensual guidance yet on what we're supposed to do for safety - ours and that of others?

(And what happened to that recommendation about UV light exposure?

Or - even *gasp* - hand washing?

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
That being said, of course, it doesn't hurt to be reminded that there are other noxious germs and viruses to be protected from and protect others against. The CDiff protocols are permanently engraved on my memory (and there are other GI tract infections to avoid), besides which flu and colds still exist!

(Remembering when it was a standard precaution to wash groceries and air out mail for 48 hours.)

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
It's hassle, but it looks like you will get over this just fine. So, enjoy the somewhat unusual but ultimately harmless (to you) ride, I suppose. Smiler

That is what I am thinking...I just hope that all of us test negative...If some of the team test positive, it would shut down our food distribution...I so hope that is not the case. Frowner

MillCityGrows.org

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I share your hope. Here's praying for negative tests so that your good work can continue largely uninterrupted.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
How are you doing, BL?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Yes, how are you doing today?

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Test came back negative!! happydance

Sadly all our in person programs have been canceled this week..that means no CSA's or food deliveries and not our big public school grab and go produce.

I was to help out with our big Community Food Assessment today at a back to school block party but...we bowed out Frowner . We are surveying all in the city on how close fresh food is to them, do they need transport or financial help. The last one was done 10 years ago.

Staff are getting testing piecemeal..It depends on where you go.. CVS and Walgreens can take up to 4 days for results Eeker

The city has a set up that happens to be in my neighborhood... Inconveniently far for folks with no car, the last stop on the bus line.. VeryAngry .but..

You can drive up to the trailer and get results in less then 24 hours. No insurance or Dr referral (nor appointment) needed.

So I am work at home again till next week. Shrug

MillCityGrows.org

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Well, hip hip hooray, BL!

That's a relief.

What a shame you all aren't yet able to get back up and running at your usual speed, though.

What a worthy and. much-needed project you are engaged in - mapping out accessibility of fresh foods throughout poor neighborhoods. (Certainly something NYC greatly needs.)

A few days a week, my son is delivering CSA food in your vicinity, I think. It's not a charitable endeavor, though, except in that it's environmentally sound (selling produce that might otherwise go to waste).

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
BL, how are you doing? Are you going to have to get tested again? Going back to work?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I am good, cleared for work. CDC guidelines say if vaccinated, no symptoms and negative test after 3-5 days exposure, I am clear.

I was in the office for a bit today. (We were all masked, just sayin')

I am being extra careful as I have family wedding the second week of Sept and will be stay with and driving my 92 year old Mom around to events.

Fortunately, the wedding is outdoors (at the beach, lots of wind!!). And ALL my boys are to be there!!! happydance

MillCityGrows.org