well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Freedom of choice in Texas

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freedom of choice in Texas
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Only if your choice is approved by me.

quote:
A Dallas-area couple say they were asked to leave a restaurant last week — after the restaurant said they’d broken its policy against wearing masks.

Natalie Wester says she and her husband Jose were dining at the Hang Time grill in Rowlett, a Dallas suburb, when their server approached and asked them to take off their face masks. The couple, who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19, say they’re cautious about public outings because of their four-month-old immunocompromised child.

“About half an hour passes and our waitress comes sits down next to me and says ‘Our manager sent me over because I’m nicer than he is. And yes, this is political,’” says Wester. “She stated that we were not allowed to wear masks in the building per the management. He did not believe they worked and did not want anyone in his business wearing them.”

At this point, Wester informed the server that she and her husband wear masks to try minimizing COVID-19 exposure, in addition to seasonal illnesses like RSV and the flu. Wester’s son has cystic fibrosis, a genetic disease affecting the child’s lungs and digestive system. The condition makes it tougher to fight off infections, Wester explains.

“I informed my waitress of this information,” Wester says. “And she told me that she could close my check for me if it was an issue. Fine. My husband and I paid and left without a scene.”

https://www.kxan.com/news/texa...earing-masks-inside/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37955 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
More stupid Republicanism.

quote:
“About half an hour passes and our waitress comes sits down next to me and says ‘Our manager sent me over because I’m nicer than he is. And yes, this is political,’”

I think I would have been less nice than the couple. I wouldn't have paid the bill. I would have assumed that it would be comped, given the involuntary ejection, and I would have left.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
1. The owner of that restaurant can go straight to h*ll.

2. Why do people continue dining out in the middle of a pandemic? Esp. if they have health-compromised family members?

Leaving

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18543 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Also, yes to P*D, they should not have paid.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18543 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
2. Why do people continue dining out in the middle of a pandemic? Esp. if they have health-compromised family members?

Leaving

I had the same thought. But I also understand the notion of COVID fatigue, especially given that they have a little one with major health issues. Life can pile up on you and sometimes you just want to get away for a little bit and have fun.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37955 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but they may have chosen the wrong place for that. It might have been apparent from news coverage of the place, or word of mouth. And they could surely have seen the sea of unmasked faces when they walked in and then drawn the appropriate conclusion.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They had been to the restaurant before, but not under the current management. And they were there for half an hour before being asked to leave. But...

And there's more to the story....

quote:
In an incident Dallas resident Natalie Wester describes as “bizarre,” she and her husband Jose Lopez were recently instructed to take off their masks while inside a bar called Hang Time Sports Grill & Bar in Rowlett. Or leave.

Natalie Wester and her husband Jose Lopez were asked to leave Hang Time in Rowlett, Texas, because they were wearing their masks indoors. They say they were trying to protect their immunocompromised son Austin, who is 4 months old.

Bar owner Tom Blackmer doesn’t think the confrontation was bizarre: He does not want his customers wearing masks indoors, and he’s tired of talking about it.

“She was told on the way in that we don’t allow masks,” he says. It’s a decision he says he made in April — one that has been occasionally controversial, but most patrons just go find another bar.

“They have a choice to go wherever they want; there are thousands of bars around here. Go somewhere else,” Blackmer says.

Wester and Lopez have a 4-month-old son, Austin, who has cystic fibrosis, and they say they were wearing their masks because pediatricians at Children’s Health in Dallas told them to take “extra precautions, even without COVID,” Wester says. Both parents are fully vaccinated.

Blackmer thinks they should have stayed home.

“If you are protecting somebody, you should not go out,” he says.

https://www.dallasnews.com/foo...-bar-can-he-do-that/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I won't be surprised if we read down the road a bit that Tom has contracted COVID....

quote:
It’s a policy you don’t hear often amid the pandemic, but the owner says he considers it part of the dress code.

“I have spent my money on the business, my blood sweat and tears in this business, and I don’t want masks in here,” Tom, the owner of Hang Time, said.

He says it’s a private business and he has every right to refuse service to those who want to wear their mask.

“I feel the overall reaction with masks is ridiculous in the United States right now,” Tom said.

There’s no sign, instead the hostess tells everyone who wears one that they must take them off at the door.

“So when they put their masks on the other night, they were reminded that at the front to take it off. They didn’t want to, and so we asked them to leave,” the owner continued.

He said he was unaware of her immune compromised son, but that it’s a rule they believe strongly in and will continue to enforce.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/...ing-family-to-leave/

we've lost our collective minds....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
So... can businesses refuse service to those that wear shirts? Pants???

Hmmm.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
More stupid Republicanism.

quote:
“About half an hour passes and our waitress comes sits down next to me and says ‘Our manager sent me over because I’m nicer than he is. And yes, this is political,’”

I think I would have been less nice than the couple. I wouldn't have paid the bill. I would have assumed that it would be comped, given the involuntary ejection, and I would have left.

And given the fact that the policy is not posted.

Posts: 45750 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, supposedly the policy was told to diners as they entered the establishment.

It's still a stupid policy, as Ron noted. And as the waitress confessed, it was simply a political statement by the owner.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There must be less expensive ways to express one’s political viewpoint. I always thought the point of owning a business was to attract customers and sell them goods and/or services, and to make money.

Guess I was wrong.

Bazootiehead-in-training