well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The economics of ski resorts

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The economics of ski resorts
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Powder and profits: the economics of ski resorts

Vail Mountain kicked off the new year by setting a record. For the first week of January, a single-day lift ticket purchased on-site cost $299, the highest amount ever charged to ski the iconic resort, roughly 100 miles outside Denver.

https://media.hubspot.com/powd...placement=newsletter

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37987 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Link broken ...

Posts: 12565 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Harumph. I even tested it. It seems to have vaporized.

Let's try this one...

https://thehustle.co/powder-an...mics-of-ski-resorts/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37987 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The big resorts have become a hassle. Parking has become a hassle and walking past all the condos and shops to get to the lifts is a PITA anymore.
I have light touring gear I use on local jeep roads. My favorite is about 5 minutes north. I drive there in my comfy boots. Take my skis out of the back and put them on. Then I ski up 1/2 mile to where the jeep road becomes more level. Sometimes I continue, other times I ski back down.
Will ski that when I return to
Colorado. There is also a smaller resort that is no too busy in April and May. I will ski there.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
[pedantic economist hat on]

This isn't an "arms race." Arms races, like the USSR and US producing thousands of nuclear missiles, benefit no one. The extra 1000 missiles create no better deterrence than having 5 total, and they cost a fortune. Treaties solve arms races.

Individuals may not like what Vail or so-and-so have chosen as their model, but clearly the market as a whole wants most of what's on offer, including faster chairs, better food and more lodging options.

[pedantic economist hat off]

Personally, I would not choose day tickets at $299 each. I recognize that skiing is largely a luxury sport, and plenty of wealthy people happily shell out. I would not choose season passes either because I have never had the luxury of that much time to spend on the slopes. But I realize that they are ideal for many people who know that they're going to ski enough times over the course of a season to justify the outlay. Heck, the passes often allow you to ski at dozens of different resorts across the nation.

In the past, I have found it very much worthwhile to go to resorts for long weekends. They have packages for exactly what I want. Parking isn't a hassle in the nice warm garage underground beneath the slope side inn, and I really value skiing out the back door onto great black diamond slopes (Widow Maker at Snowshoe, for instance). The industry model has worked well for me by pricing out a family experience that fits our budget and our time frame.

Now that I'm older, and my wife is no longer willing to subject herself to fracture risk, my skiing days are largely over.

But ... and this is speculative, of course. Who knows if I'll even reach that age ... Ski Santa Fe is literally just up the road (7.5 miles) from my Santa Fe home. Once you hit age 70, you ski for FREE, FREE, FREE. If my body can still handle it at that age, I'll happily buy a discounted end-of-season set of Demo skis/boots/poles and go skiing at my local place at just the right times for me. That means perfect weather (mid 20s and clear), and perfect conditions (most slopes open and FRESHLY GROOMED). Then I can go up for the day, ski as long as I want, and come home. I'll never feel buyers remorse or even a hint of sunk cost fallacy (as though I need to ski every minute to "get my money's worth.")

Posts: 12565 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I spent one great day at Ski Santa Fe. No crowds. No hassle. Was complimented on my telemark turns.
I don't get to ski for free, but I pay less than $200 for a pass at Arapahoe Basin.
Allergist sent me to a cardiologist. Learned that in addition to breathing problems from asthma I have a leaky heart valve. Have gone from bombing the slopes at 11,000 feet to stopping after most turns to suck air. I don't know what my limits will be yet, but gasping it not as much fun.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we'll see how much sucking air I do when next I manage to get out on the slopes.

Telemark is such a beautiful style.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
BTW, that picture of Ford on those really short skis is a scream.

I ski with pretty short skis, but those are TINY! Big Grin

https://lh7-us.googleuserconte...zK3HaWf760G62daIda7g

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Those who took the short skis lessons that were popular for a while had to start over.

Telemark skiing ended for me as asthma? or whatever started taking over. I loved it. Lost
much of my interest for skiing when I had to switch back to alpine.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Tele HO!
Half a binding Half a brain!

Miss that.