well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Voting on Chile’s new Constitution

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Voting on Chile’s new Constitution
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
https://www.reuters.com/world/...titution-2022-09-04/

The current Chilean Constitution was adopted under the dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet. In 2019 the people of Chile embarked on a process to draft a new Constitution with elected representatives. Today (2022 Sep. 4) is when they vote to either accept or reject the new Constitution, one that reportedly has 388 articles.

Reuters’ explainer for what’s in the new Constitution: https://www.reuters.com/world/...titution-2022-07-29/

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Looks like the new Constitution has been rejected, 62% to 38%.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Pretty amazing turnout, at least by US standards.

quote:
Nearly 13 million of 15 million Chileans and residents who were eligible to vote cast ballots across more than 3,000 voting centers.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37957 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Is the US headed for a revised Constitution?

quote:
Former Sen. Russ Feingold spoke with "ABC News Prime" about his new book “The Constitution in Jeopardy,” co-written with attorney Peter Prindiville, about what they see as a coordinated effort to amend the Constitution and making sweeping changes to our democracy using a specific provision in Article 5

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...titution/ar-AA11khhQ

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37957 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I haven't read up on the Chilean constitutional process, but here's an amateur thought anyway ...

In the modern age, the likelihood of getting a simple and streamlined constitutional statement through any political negotiation process is just about zero. But getting an unwieldy and falsely overprecise tome through an election is also a low probability event in a non-authoritarian election process. Hence the strong bias toward the political status quo absent a political vacuum in a country.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
From what I’ve read online, the new constitution proposed sweeping changes in several areas. I’m as lefty as the next guy but I wouldn’t have voted for it either.

Too many changes at once, IMHO.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34974 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post