well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    NYT: “ The Modern Farmhouse Is Today’s McMansion”
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYT: “ The Modern Farmhouse Is Today’s McMansion”
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't handle the barn door trend. It drives me nuts. I'm also not a fan of gray walls, but my walls are painted a creme color which is basically the same idea. Gray just seems so depressing to me.

Yes to all of this!

Oh, by barn door, do you mean the sliding ones? Pocket doors are great, esp. when they go into an actual pocket so you can use the wall space on both sides of the door.

One of the reasons I dislike the sliding barn door is because you can't use that wall space -- well, I mean you could to some extent but it's limited. The other thing I don't like is that the door is just so insistent about its presence. The color, the hardware, you can't ignore it. Not my cup of tea at all.

And I am also a fan of warm tones, so yes to creme and off-white, no thank you to grays.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Barn doors are already dated. Gray is a wonderful color if used sparingly and paired with the right other colors and textures. My daughter's first apartment in Winston Salem was all gray and so depressing. Our upstairs guest bath is SW Agreeable Gray, but has darker gray woodtone cabinets, white tile and a mostly white quartz countertop. Looks fantastic.

Our family room, which used to be a coral color,

is now SW Accessible Beige per the advice of a designer we worked with a little to make the first floor more neutral. I HATE it with a fiery passion and can't wait to repaint it. It looks like dirty water.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Big fan of pocket doors. Would consider a barn door if I couldn't convert a regular door to a pocket, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

We converted the doors on two bathrooms and one bedroom to pockets and it's amazing what a difference it made to the useful space in the room, and just the feeling of openness. Especially nice when the rooms aren't terribly large to begin with.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I had several apartments in old houses that had pocket doors. They're great, and they usually had beautiful woodwork too.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Our new house in NY has pocket doors between the dining and living rooms. They might be 140 years old like the house, and they slide perfectly. (But there are several too many layers of paint for them to latch.)

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Our house used to have them, but they were removed by the previous owner to create room for a wall oven. We compensated by installing two hinged doors.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post