well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    NYT: “ The Modern Farmhouse Is Today’s McMansion”
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYT: “ The Modern Farmhouse Is Today’s McMansion”
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I’m curious to know if the American Standard toilet you bought is the same as an American standard toilet sold at Home Depot.

Does it have the same model name?

there are no american standard toilets sold at our home depot. the only thing they have with the specs we need (dimensions, water use, etc) is the Glacier Bay.

Can you order from HD on line and have it delivered to the store? They usually do that without a shipping fee.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
You would want to replace our toilets, too. Their flushing power is marginal.

Not surprising. A lot of the older ones were pretty weak, especially the early water-saving models.

These newer models are much better.

Yup, hence my observation earlier:

quote:
As long as the design of the toilet itself allows for good flushing of solid waste (there are some that don't do this well), and it doesn't routinely get plugged up,

pique's earlier post only mentioned leaking...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
They’re no good for flushing down official government documents though

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:

The top floor is like a large refurbished attic divided into five bedrooms. (We think it might have been a boarding house during the Depression.)

Very possible. Equally possible is that it got cut up after WW2 to house returning service personnel. Pretty common with large old houses.

You might be able to tell by the door hardware. Depression era houses still used mortise style handle sets (sometimes with crystal knobs) while post WW2 housing generally used some sort of tubular setup.

Interesting! I'll check.

The doorknobs on the two main floors are ceramic, some white and some that are a brown, swirly tortoiseshell.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I’m curious to know if the American Standard toilet you bought is the same as an American standard toilet sold at Home Depot.

Does it have the same model name?

there are no american standard toilets sold at our home depot. the only thing they have with the specs we need (dimensions, water use, etc) is the Glacier Bay.

Can you order from HD on line and have it delivered to the store? They usually do that without a shipping fee.

The toilet we ordered is not available through Home Depot. Including shipping, the one we ordered directly from the manufacturer is about $200 less than the closest thing HD offers.

I strongly suspect that the name brand products HD offers are manufactured specifically for them, and are not the same as what you would buy elsewhere. I've seen that with Costco and computers, too.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I strongly suspect that the name brand products HD offers are manufactured specifically for them, and are not the same as what you would buy elsewhere. I've seen that with Costco and computers, too.

And Best Buy and TVs, Amazon and TVs....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I can't handle the barn door trend. It drives me nuts. I'm also not a fan of gray walls, but my walls are painted a creme color which is basically the same idea. Gray just seems so depressing to me.

I like color in a house. My kitchen is definitely not white on white. We have mainly cabinets, slate backsplash and two different countertops, an engineered quartz great-brown and a crazy patterned granite on our island with lots of fun patterns.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
So Pique, which toilet did you end up getting?

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Mortise vs. tubular

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
So Pique, which toilet did you end up getting?

the Champion Pro with standard height and elongated bowl and 1.6L flush

Except now I went back to look at the order and they say they are sending that model, but the model number is for a different cheaper model. I need to call them tomorrow and make sure I'm getting the right one.

So thanks for asking! It may have saved me some aggravation on delivery.

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I respect what the Gaines have done. I like their use of unexpected pieces in creative ways. I think they've stimulated a lot of people's thinking.

We do have some subway tile that seems to fit well with the house, but then again, our house is a box - American 4-Square. As for style, our decor would probably best be described as nuevo mish mosh confused eclectic.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
steve, this is interesting:

you know how when you use google, sponsored ads are on top of the results?

to answer your question, i googled "american standard" and then unwittingly clicked on the link for a retailer who sells american standard toilets. i did not notice that it wasn't the american standard website.

so i input the product number that is on my invoice from american standard, and up pops a different toilet!

so very apparently, AS is not standard!

when i realized my mistake and went to the correct site, the very same product number produced the toilet i did buy. AND, the toilet on the retailer's site doesn't exist on the manufacturer's site.

curious what you think is going on here.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Interesting that you chose standard height rather than comfort height. My knees really like comfort height commodes.

American Standard seems to have a lot of different model numbers for the same commode depending on who sells it. From what I see they really have only 4 models plus the low profile job that nobody wants. Seriously - don’t get that one.

What you’re really buying is the porcelain casting and the controls in the tank are secondary. AS and everyone else has really improved on that design in the last few years. I put an AS in the Yorba Linda house before we moved and I thought the performance was impressive.

You’re gonna love it!

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Well thanks for the endorsement. I don't like taller toilets. Humans were designed to squat when defecating, not sit in a chair. In some parts of the world, toilets are a hole in the floor and you truly squat. It's healthier because it promotes full elimination. When I've been stuck some place with a chair height toilet, I'll raise my feet on a stool. (unfortunate pun there.)

And of course there are also all the accumulated years I've spent in the backcountry, where squatting is the only option (well, you can also lean against a tree or a boulder, and before my knee was replaced there were times when that was necessary).

We're now venturing into the territory of TMI. but you did ask.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The best of both worlds - an ADA height toilet plus a Squatty Potty

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post