well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Chinese Students Aren't Coming to America

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chinese Students Aren't Coming to America
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45751 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I remember reading about it when the UIUC first took out that insurance policy. It speaks to just how much they rely on Chinese tuition money.

The university where I work doesn't have nearly the same kind of numbers of international students, so there doesn't seem to be much impact, but places like UIUC, OSU, UW-Madison have really come to rely on international students as a revenue stream.

An lesser known side effect will be felt in Japanese language programs, interestingly enough. Many big state schools w/ large numbers of Chinese students have seen their enrollment numbers for Japanese classes rise because Chinese undergrads will often take Japanese classes. There are several reasons for this: the written language is easy for Chinese students, so Japanese classes are seen as an "easy A" and a GPA booster; Chinese students have often grown up consuming Japanese pop culture; for some Chinese students, trilingualism (Chinese, Japanese, English) is seen as plus for future job search activities. So when the number of Chinese students starts to drop, enrollment in Japanese language classes also drops, I think some programs are (rightfully) worried about that.

Again, b/c we just don't have a big group of Chinese students, we aren't seeing anything like that happening, and our Japanese enrollment numbers are pretty steady (well, slight increase b/c overall enrollment here is going up).

Sorry, niche comment/thread drift. WhoMe

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18552 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
This is on my radar as well. Our term hasn't started yet, so I will be waiting a few months to look at our actual enrollments and graduate assistant numbers. However, I have no reason to think that we won't follow the national declining trend. (FWIW, enrollments are generally down everywhere, with most student types. Demographics. Our xenophobic administration's actions haven't helped at all.)

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Also....

quote:
UIUC first took out that insurance policy

?? UI took out insurance against enrollment declines/lost revenue??

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
?? UI took out insurance against enrollment declines/lost revenue??

UIUC took out an insurance policy that specifically covers a loss of more than 20% in tuition revenue if the number of enrolled Chinese students were to suddenly drop. It's gross, really.

NAFSA (National Association of Foreign Student Advisers) calls international students an "economic value tool" -- even grosser.

https://www.nafsa.org/policy-a...-economic-value-tool

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18552 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
For my Uni, peak Chinese applicant pool was 2-3 years ago. Down about 10%. But the quality is as high as ever. The population of eligible high-income students from places like India is growing, so the sea of possibilities remains large for schools that want to ramp up their international student population.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I think I've mentioned this before, but one of my cousins went to the University of Rochester business school graduation a couple of years ago. She showed me the program. From memory, there were something like 76 Masters of Science in Accounting awarded. For each one, it listed where they were from. I think 73 of the recipients were listed as from China.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Forgive me for being selfish, but this is good news for full tuition payers of US kids.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Forgive me for being selfish, but this is good news for full tuition payers of US kids.

Not necessarily. It may be easier to get in, but tuition may rise.

On the other hand, some full tuition payers may see that as a drop in the bucket, and relish the increased admittance rates. See Varsity Blues.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

Not necessarily. It may be easier to get in, but tuition may rise.

Or quality may fall.

For the kinds of schools Jon might interested in, I doubt he'll notice the difference. The behavior of Williams, Amherst, Duke, and Stanford will be unaffected. The issue looms largest for two types of institution.

1. small colleges that depend on a small number of full-paying foreign students to subsidize the quality for their lower-income domestic students.

2. Second and third-tier state universities whose revenues are constrained by the increasingly lower incomes of their clientele and by the unwillingness of their legislature to make up for that revenue shortfall.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post