well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Freeze warnings

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freeze warnings
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
It’s been a seasonably warm here and all of the plants are perking up. Trees are blooming already, as are rhododendrons, etc.

But next week the forecast is for nights in the low 20’s, which means all that new growth is probably going to freeze. Frowner. I’ve read that watering everything well before the freeze will help to mitigate the damage and I plan to do that. I’ve also seen people throw sheets and blankets over their bushes - does that help?

I remember growers setting up big fans in the orange orchards when the freeze warnings were up. Would putting out fans be useful?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34880 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
if your outdoor spigots are turned on, you can run sprinklers on the plants all night and that will keep them from freezing. I use this method to keep my tomatoes producing all the way to the end of October.

If the area is large, or running water all night isn't feasible for some other reason, blankets may help if it doesn't get too cold.

Usually anything below 26F is going to be a goner no matter what you do.

But the forecast is often wrong, and also the microclimates in your yard may be different than the forecast, so make an attempt, even if the predicted lows are below that.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21310 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I've never gone beyond throwing sheets over the raspberries in the fall to see if I can save the fall crop, or maybe a large pot inverted over a small tender perennial. In my senior gardening years I've become resigned to "it is what it is".

Going to be in the mid-20s here tonight and again on Wednesday. I don't plan to cover anything because what's budded out so far isn't likely to be damaged; the stuff I have is pretty resilient.

I'd say focus on the tender stuff. Magnolias are the first thing that come to mind. I don't recall what else you have in your garden.

https://hortnews.extension.ias...damage-garden-plants

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37844 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Are sheets heavy enough or do I need blankets?

Posts: 34880 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sheets, blankets, towels. No plastic.

https://www.homesandgardens.co...ct-plants-from-frost

Note:

quote:
Kate Russell, the author of Stop Wasting Your Yard! emphasizes their benefits, adding that they are an 'excellent tool for creating a buffer between freezing temperatures and frost-sensitive plants.' However, she notes that it only works if the sheets are raised above the plants. 'As soon as the sheets touch the plants, everything will freeze,' she says.

quote:
The process of setting up the protective sheet is almost as easy as it sounds. However, Zeeshan warns that there are some quirks to remember in the process.

'First, make sure the bed sheet is large enough to cover the entire area of the garden that you want to protect,' he says. 'You should also make sure that the sheet has enough weight to stay in place and isn’t too thin or light.'

'The trick is to lay the sheets over some sort of a structure that keeps them from touching the plants,' Kate says. 'You can use tomato cages, pole bean teepees, old bed frames, or whatever you have handy.'

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37844 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
PROP THEM UP
There's definitely a right and a wrong way to use bed sheets for this protective purpose, according to Katie. 'The best way to use them is to prop the sheets up slightly so they don't rest directly on the plants,' she says. 'If they touch, then frost damage can be more severe. I like to place tomato cages [available from Amazon] and chairs around my plants to drape the sheets on top of.'

You could also use a lightweight blanket, or 'a tablecloth that has some repellent properties on the top surface, this would work really well,' she adds.

Remember to choose a covering large enough to cover the whole planted area, so it wouldn’t fall down and become tangled up in the plants, potentially causing damage.

https://www.gardeningetc.com/n...rost-protection-hack

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The magnolia only has buds so far - the same buds it’s had all winter but now they’re larger. I think they’ll probably survive.

I’ll build a little tent for the hydrangeas tomorrow.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Magnolias are pretty tender. Can you see color of the flower petals, or are you just seeing the sepals? I think that's what you call the fuzzy covering over the flower petals. If the petals are exposed even if the buds aren't completely open, I think they could get damaged.

Worst thing that will happen is that flowers will be brown. The plant will survive.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Magnolias are pretty tender. Can you see color of the flower petals, or are you just seeing the sepals? I think that's what you call the fuzzy covering over the flower petals. If the petals are exposed even if the buds aren't completely open, I think they could get damaged.

Worst thing that will happen is that flowers will be brown. The plant will survive.

Magnolia buds aren’t open yet. The weeping cherry, however…

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i have never had much luck with sheets/blankets, and I did tent them. It really all depends on how cold it gets and for how long and how exposed the area is where the plants are. I've had the best luck with sprinklers--the water is above freezing and stays above freezing so long as it is flowing, and that's why the plants can't freeze if the sprinkler is on them. Good luck!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21310 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
I'll second pique's statement about sheets. We had a late frost situation last spring and I hastily covered my budding lilacs with sheets. The flowers survived but were very sub par. Stunted tips that didn't open, rendering the usual perfection of form, color, and smell a disappointment. The part of the bush that was covered by sheets fared no better than the part left uncovered. It wasn't a total loss, but the flowers wouldn't have been commercially viable, let's say. I enjoyed what I did have though. Oh, the scent!

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10565 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Temp dropped to 28 last night. To add insult to injury, we have snow flurries.

Bazootiehead-in-training