well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Let’s complain about light fixtures and built-in LED lights
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let’s complain about light fixtures and built-in LED lights
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can also get it from Amazon, iirc.

Quirt, I checked, you can indeed buy it on Amazon -- it's actually shipped and sold by Lamps Plus. Same price at the moment.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also check the color of the glass. The yellow toned one, like that expensive one, can really reduce the brightness of the light. That may be what you want, but a whiter glass will be brighter.

Nina, yes, I prefer the white glass.

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Here's what we got for our bedroom. Roseto (VXCF42224BLWL) makes it and we got it from Ferguson, which has it on sale at the moment. Our contractor gets a small discount on top of that, which helps.

It looks like we have similar taste. I too like the $1400+ light but will be leaving its hand-smithed self on the shelf. ROTFLMAO

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15517 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
MA, that's a really cool fixture!!

I think we're going to go with the one I linked earlier in this thread -- no, not the $1400 one, the 130 one Big Grin

I think the black accents will look nice in the piano room.

Next up, putting mini-blinds in there, and then dealing with a curtain rod/rail for the bay window.

I want everything in the piano room in place before the piano gets moved in.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
This may not apply to you, but there is a risk if you install ceiling fixtures before furniture is moved in, because the light fixtures could get bumped during the move. Our electrician is waiting until after we move in to install some of the overhead pendant lights.

Posts: 45757 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Quiet, that makes sense. The fixture in the piano room will be semi-flush to the ceiling (12in drop) — as opposed to the current one which is at eye level for me.

But there is a hall light that is pendant style that should watch for probably.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
What I want to avoid is having the piano in place and then needing to have someone come in and put in a new ceiling fixture over the piano. Also I want to finished with the need to get up on a ladder to do the curtain rails because that would also be right up against the piano.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Have you been to any lighting stores? The impression some fixtures present in an online view may not be what they actually look like hanging from your ceiling. In part, it may depend on whether you are looking for a fixture that makes a decorative statement of its own versus something unobtrusive that still puts light of the quality and quantity you desire where you want it.

We had a lighting surprise when we moved into our present house. It was still furnished with the seller's household goods when we saw it and bought it. It was empty when we moved in and we didn't think about lighting until it began to get dark. At that point, we noticed that only the dining room, kitchen, hallways, the bathrooms, laundry room, furnace room, and garage, and one bedroom had permanent light fixtures. The other three bedrooms, the living room. and the family room had no permanent lighting. The only provision was a switched receptacle in each room. We had a hasty scramble to try to find the floor and table lamps we owned among the movers delivery and a mad scramble to buy some temporary lampholders to illuminate some of those rooms.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7420 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you been to any lighting stores?

No unfortunately, there aren't any in town, and the options at Lowes were super limited.

I ordered the one from Lamps Plus (linked several posts back). It's returnable so we'll see.

quote:
In part, it may depend on whether you are looking for a fixture that makes a decorative statement of its own versus something unobtrusive that still puts light of the quality and quantity you desire where you want it.

I didn't want a statement piece (although they're fun to look at) so hopefully the one I chose will be ok, because it looks to be the right combo of unobtrusive but still sort of stylish.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post

I like this fixture a lot! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Thank you! We thought that asymmetrical look was kinda cool.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15517 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Last I bought light fixtures, indeed they were the sort with built-in LEDs. Artika Horizon, on discount in Costco at $20 a piece, tunable color temperature. I couldn’t pass it up and bought extra. I believe it has since been discontinued. Costco subsequently discounted the Artika Altitude (also to $20 a piece, stylistically similar to the Horizon), but I have already stocked on the Horizon so I did not buy the Altitude. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12696 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post