well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    ICE Went to Tennessee. It Didn't Go Well

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ICE Went to Tennessee. It Didn't Go Well
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow. Bless those amazing people who acted as advocates!

quote:
"ICE officers chose to depart the scene today without making an arrest to de-escalate the situation,"

Give those officers a bonus, this kind of behavior should be incentivized across all types of law enforcement!!!!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
That is not the Tennessee I know.
Surprised the neighbors did not help ICE.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
That is not the Tennessee I know.
Surprised the neighbors did not help ICE.

There are probably neighborhoods, even in Tennessee, where people understand the challenges. Maybe because of personal experience or circumstances.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
If I had been a neighbor and knew the man, I might very well have been part of the ICE-chasing bunch.

But what is the endgame here? Democrats have argued that we need to increase the number of administrative judges to speed the asylum process. When that process has run its full course and the legal system issues a deportation order, should the authorities not be allowed to fulfill their obligations? How different is that than saying we should just have open borders to anyone in the world who wants to move in? If that's truly the Democratic position, welcome to four more years of Donald Trump. It's a deeply unpopular view in the US.

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
If I had been a neighbor and knew the man, I might very well have been part of the ICE-chasing bunch.

But what is the endgame here? Democrats have argued that we need to increase the number of administrative judges to speed the asylum process. When that process has run its full course and the legal system issues a deportation order, should the authorities not be allowed to fulfill their obligations? How different is that than saying we should just have open borders to anyone in the world who wants to move in? If that's truly the Democratic position, welcome to four more years of Donald Trump. It's a deeply unpopular view in the US.

That is absolutely true.

At the same time, it would be wonderful if ICE and CBP did things like, you know, respect the Constitutional limits on their powers.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Nashville is one of those cities that is drawing millennials. Millennials = progressives. Maybe that's part of the reason?

P*D: Our system is totally broken. The process of getting permanent residency and a green card for someone from Mexico is over 10 years. The asylum issue is just one slice of the problem. I realize I'm not telling you anything you don't know. But we've essentially had "open borders" for years, when it comes to domestic, construction and agricultural workers. The hypocrisy is mind-boggling, and one need look no further than our fearless leader employing undocumented workers and/or working the system to get people to work at Mar-a-Lago.

I would feel much better if ICE and CBP had a better record regarding basic human rights. I would feel a lot better if the US would get serious about an immigration policy that would make those who come here to work not be criminals, while we look the other way (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

But if ICE is enforcing legal deportation orders that reflect the full consideration of our asylum procedures, and the Democratic party is seen to reflect disdain for those legal processes, we're in for a world of hurt at the polls.

My understanding was that ICE was tasked with picking up people whose cases had indeed proceeded to the full legal endpoint, not rounding up people willy-nilly. If our disrespect for the current administration and our revulsion at the inhumane border camps pushes us to obstruct fully legal enforcement of asylum decisions, the GOP will hang this around the Democratic party's neck. We will lose an awful lot of potential support in 2020. But that seems to be what our more "progressive" voices want to do, heedless of the consequences but so sure in their ethical superiority.

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Agreed.

But if ICE is enforcing legal deportation orders that reflect the full consideration of our asylum procedures, and the Democratic party is seen to reflect disdain for those legal processes, we're in for a world of hurt at the polls.

My understanding was that ICE was tasked with picking up people whose cases had indeed proceeded to the full legal endpoint, not rounding up people willy-nilly. If our disrespect for the current administration and our revulsion at the inhumane border camps pushes us to obstruct fully legal enforcement of asylum decisions, the GOP will hang this around the Democratic party's neck. We will lose an awful lot of potential support in 2020. But that seems to be what our more "progressive" voices want to do, heedless of the consequences but so sure in their ethical superiority.

It is absolutely true that a big majority of the U.S. voting age population believes in humane enforcement of our immigration laws.

It is also true that the various calls to eliminate ICE aren't going to help us win elections.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Funny on how all of the focus on immigration seems to ignore white immigrants... It's almost as if there is just racism against brown, black and non-whites?

Nah, that can't be happening in America today! Neener

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Funny on how all of the focus on immigration seems to ignore white immigrants... It's almost as if there is just racism against brown, black and non-whites?

Nah, that can't be happening in America today! Neener

Pretty sad situation, isn't it.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post