well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Kitchen SOS

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen SOS
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
Due to an unfortunate confluence of circumstances, our gas stove burner needs attention.

My wife inadvertently left a burner on after heating up something, and then shortly afterwards I placed a plastic microwave cover on the hot burner. It melted. (I might note that we both have head colds and are somewhat disoriented.)

I am thinking maybe the rough iron burner can be cleaned with a stiff wire brush? But the upper and lower burner pans have polished surfaces, so that won’t work.

And there is a ceramic igniter on that burner that probably has to be replaced?

The burner itself is removable for cleaning.

Any advice appreciated! Pictures coming up.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve never had to deal with that situation before.

Here’s an article with some ideas.

It looks like most methods involve warming the plastic and scraping it off. I might try a heat gun - they’re pretty cheap on line. A hairdryer might even work. I think a popsicle stick might work as a scraper.

If you can dig enough plastic out of the igniter it will probably still work. You could use a propane torch on the parts you can remove and take outside but not on the polished pieces.

If you can lift the cooktop and prop it it you’ll have better access. I think most stoves allow you to do that.

Good luck!

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post