well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    America's best example of turning around a dying downtown

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

America's best example of turning around a dying downtown
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
It's Cleveland - who knew?

You know I wasn't sold on CLE before we moved here but now we actually like the place and visit fairly often. Certainly more than we ever visited LA - too much of hassle to get there, way spread out, impossible parking. CLE is easy to access, plenty of space, plenty of parking (shrinking the population from 1 milion in 1960 to some 330K today will do that), wide streets, lots of things to see and do ranging from grand to funky. Nice public spaces, 5 live theaters within two blocks and some great restaurants - all much nicer than we have here in the 'burbs.

I did not know that they have been busy turning office buildings in to apartments until I saw this article. Everything I have read says it's nearly impossible to do in other cities - LA, SF, DC, NYC to name a few.

Maybe these other cities need a giant outdoor chandelier!

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Cleveland's a great town. It is SOOOO ripe for inner city redevelopment/gentrification. So many nice neighborhoods where the housing stock has been fairly well maintained and crime is fairly low. I worked in Old Brooklyn near the zoo in 2016 for a while and got to know it better.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. Have been hearing nice things about Cleveland for some years now.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
And you have Severance Hall nearby!

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
My Facebook feed has been sending me some astounding restorations of major buildings in Detroit, too.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Cincinnati did this a couple decades ago and it has had immense benefits. Our riverfront is wonderful.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...3b849a284f96ba&ei=50

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I considered moving to Cleveland out of law school. There was a big, high quality law firm; the suburbs were close in and beautiful, with an easy commute; there were plenty of options for theater and orchestra, all easily walkable.

Posts: 45741 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I remember reading about Cincinnati and their repositioning it as a tech hub. I thought it was impressive at the time and it looks the effort was successful.

ThumbsUp

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Cincinnati did this a couple decades ago and it has had immense benefits. Our riverfront is wonderful.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...3b849a284f96ba&ei=50

The best thing about redeveloping the Shoreway Drive area will be renovating the long abandoned eyesore that was the multi story Westinghouse light bulb factory. It’s up on a hill with commanding views and it should be very nice when it’s completed.

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
My Facebook feed has been sending me some astounding restorations of major buildings in Detroit, too.

Detroit has risen from the ashes and it is an amazing city! There are a lot of issues with gentrification and obviously it isn’t helping everyone but the burned out buildings are being either torn down or restored (as you said, amazing transformations!) and people are moving back to the core and visiting there as well. We considered staying overnight for Rob’s birthday last weekend and the cheapest hotel room we could find in a decent downtown hotel was $450 a night - on par with Chicago. And while I was disappointed since we didn’t want to spend that much for an evening out, I wasn’t terribly surprised.

As to the original thread, we have only been to Chicago once but really enjoyed it!!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post