well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Oh no...notre dame in flames
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh no...notre dame in flames
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
My friend is heading for Paris next week. She's been before; I hope she saw Notre Dame on her previous trip.

The fire in Paris reminded me of the 1984 York Minster fire, which happened a month before I visited England, including a trip to York. The roof of the south transept was destroyed, but the damage was nothing compared to what happened today at the cathedral in Paris.

1984 York Minster fire

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38024 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Art and relics saved

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25746 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12578 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
NBC is reporting that the person responsible for the renovation is reporting that the organ and most of the windows have survived...

Let's hope.... NBC Story

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Well this seems to be a better outcome than I feared. Still, how horrible! Hopefully the windows and other things like that are ok.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18616 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The one thing I trust the French with is their language patrimony. They have the knowledge, resources, and skills. To be clear, I trust them with their language they don't trust me with it and I don't blame them.

Posts: 24841 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Well this seems to be a better outcome than I feared. Still, how horrible! Hopefully the windows and other things like that are ok.

Horrible! Things like this really get to me. I haven't seen any footage or pictures. I'm pretending I heard about this story during a commercial break and am waiting for the evening news to sit down and watch it.

But if anyone wants to post pictures I'd still like to see them. I will see them soon one way or another.

Posts: 24841 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I was just devastated when I first saw this. So much history. I was shocked to learn that there had never been a great fire there already. Usually with these ancient structures there’s a list of several over their history.

It’s going to take many, many years to rebuild this.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33808 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Am so happy to see that so much is still standing and saved. I never saw it but saw many beautiful cathedrals in Europe and was in awe.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Remarkable picture of how much actually remains!

Posts: 12578 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Video footage inside.

This morning