well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    OUCH!! Tried a flute
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OUCH!! Tried a flute
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I know that, but kids who grew up "playing" a coke bottle had a taste of what you needed to do to form a correct air flow.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

if only it were "just blowing across a hole." It's not. It requires the development of facial muscles that aren't usually in use.

Found a book that advises exercising the upper lip by moving it like bunnies do. Trying to avoid doing that in public. Smiler
Thought the saxophone was very demanding of one's embouchure, then I got a clarinet, which demands more and is
quirky.
Playing the flute requires a **** of a lot more. Think I will find a cheap craigslist flute with a lip plate before I spend any more $$. The lip plate seems to help.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
If you don’t find one locally, there are a couple here for $50, and a few more for less than $100. I’d be happy to mail you one.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
If you don’t find one locally, there are a couple here for $50, and a few more for less than $100. I’d be happy to mail you one.

Thank you.
Found a guy of Craigslist who buys used flutes, repairs them, and offers them for sale.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

Thank you.
Found a guy of Craigslist who buys used flutes, repairs them, and offers them for sale.

Sweet. Certainly anything you get for $50 off CL will desperately need cleaning, new pads, and adjustments. If a guy is refurbing, you can probably resell it for about what you paid for it if you find you no longer need it.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
If you have several scattered throughout the house, and you stand in your undies playing one at hand, would that be Flute of the Room?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Looks like I will not be replacing Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull fame or James Galway after all.

Were you aware that Ian Anderson was completely self taught and was only playing the flute for a couple of years when he wrote and performed "Thick as a Brick"?

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Ian Anderson on his flutes
He was smart not to try to compete with Clapton.

I am self taught so far. It is not a pretty sound.