well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A bit too close to home...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A bit too close to home...
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted
Portland police charge and attack retreating volunteer medic

This guy is a good friend of my daughter's, and was working as a volunteeer medic at the protest last night. He was running away from the crowd, since the police were starting to fire tear gas. For some reason, an officer charged ahead, seemingly picked him at random (kind of like the slowest gazelle is being taken down by the lionesses), and flung him to the ground. Then the officer removed the medic's helmet, slammed his head on the sidewalk and punched him repeatedly in the face/head. They took him away in a riot van, where he waited 2 hours before paramedics noticed that he needed medical attention. They sent him to the very same hospital where he works as an ICU nurse.

He was charged with multiple accounts of assaulting an officer, resisting arrest. The video is in the link. It doesn't look that way to me. Mad

He diagnosis at discharge was grade 2 concussion.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, Nina.

I'll tell you, since you mentioned it, a lot of these scenes, of police chasing down targets and injuring or killing them, remind me of men hunting animals.

I wish I could sugarcoat it, but when I step back and view it as objectively as I can, it often looks this way to me.

Again, I'm sorry.

Posts: 24815 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Jesus.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20484 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
That is horrible.

Police brutality alive and well in Portland.

Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18610 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I hope he files a lawsuit and I hope he gets a big award.

Posts: 45772 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
And I hope the good people of Portland clean house come election time.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35000 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
We need a new president. And a new direction in this country.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

Yes

There should be teams of progressive-leaning pro-bono lawyers fanning out across the nation to launch big-buck suits against police departments, tying them in expensive legal knots for years.

Posts: 12571 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

Yes

There should be teams of progressive-leaning pro-bono lawyers fanning out across the nation to launch big-buck suits against police departments, tying them in expensive legal knots for years.

What ever became of the ACLU?

Seems to me they should be all over this.

Posts: 35000 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that he's already been approached by several pro bono lawyers. As you can imagine, there are a lot of them here in Portland (both before and as a response to the current protests). I don't know if he's made any decision. If he were my son I'd tell him to hold off a few days until his head clears.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this Nina. I agree with Quirt. He should sue the crap out of them.

Posts: 13638 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
How does it work in Portland? Does the Police Chief answer to the Mayor? What does the Mayor have to say?

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Oh, how horrid. Let him know we are on his side.

Grr....

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post