well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Today I replaced my Kawai, Again. Thank you, Real Player.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today I replaced my Kawai, Again. Thank you, Real Player.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted

Sold my Kawai GX-2 about two months ago. Today I was in Denver and got the urge for a PSO. It is not a real piano shape, but it will do.
Now I can play at 2:30 when I cannot sleep. Also Don sleeps at all hours.

It makes a "truly Grand Impression" Smiler

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Will you replace my Roland? WhoMe

Seriously though, congratulations. I'm muchly jealous....

Keyboard Jam

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! But how does the action feel compared to an acoustic? Or is it close to identical?

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Nice.

What headphones are you using with it?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Congratulations! But how does the action feel compared to an acoustic? Or is it close to identical?

t
The DG30 I bought does not have Kawai's best action for a digital. That is found in other models. I got nice sounds in a glossy ebony case.
To get the best action and the best sounds costs more. That action is found in stage pianos and in more attractive cases
for more $$$$. I bought a piano that is better than what I think my playing is worth. Wink

Whether what I got is close enough to a real action is very subjective IMO.

To me the action I got felt ok in the store yesterday.

In another category and price range are the digitals with real piano actions. Those will feel like a real action.
The prices for those with a nice case are daunting. Compare them to what a similarly finished piece of furniture would cost and the price is easier to take.

Larry Fine may have some advice about digital piano actions.

At the current time some models are hard to get. Chip shortages have halted production on some models and, I suspect, new models are coming because higher prices are easier to justify that way.

The variety of available digital pianos is vast and confusing. I have looked at digitals several times and I follow the advice of this blog from Arizona.

I may need to have a piano around just so I can ignore it. If that is the case, this is smaller and requires little maintenance.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Nice.

What headphones are you using with it?

Sennheiser HD-580 They are open backed which some claim makes them less likely to cause damage to hearing.

There are probably headphones recommended for different digital pianos somewhere on Piano World or elsewhere. Have not looked yet.

I do know that headphones can make a big difference in the sound you get.

My new digital piano has adjustments to optimize output for the type of headphone used.

Reading the manual of the new piano will be important #$%^

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
It will not be delivered until the 29th. darn
The dealer is in south Denver, maybe Englewood, and far from my second floor living room.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!

quote:
Sennheiser HD-580 They are open backed

When I used to play a digital, I used some Sennheiser open-backed ones as well, definitely recommend that style.

Keyboard Jam

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
DG30 review

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
HD580s are some nice cans.

I have two pairs of Sennheiser HD598s. One has the cream leather and wood trim that looks like the interior of a Jaguar. They were an open box item at a local snooty audiophile store and just a tad over half price. The second is the HD598SE which I think was an Amazon exclusive - black with a silver ring. I bought them off craigslist last year.

I have the cream ones plugged into the Roland and the black ones on my PC.

I love Sennheisers since my first HD20s I bought in college that I loaned to my girlfriend's nephew and he stepped on them just after I replaced the foam. My HD495s got stolen -- the foam was shot. I have a couple pairs of the PX100 for traveling, but the foam is shot. Hmmmm... I see a pattern here.

Anyway, those are really good headphones for a keyboard. I find them light enough to wear for a couple hours at a stretch. I think you will be happy with them.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have had the HD-580 for years.
When I had the grand with the silent system that produced sounds for headphones the 580s did not sound good. A cheaper pair that came with the electronics were much better.
The 580s were so sensitive they showed the flaws in the electronic sound. The other pair was better.
Do not remember what they were.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your new instrument!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thank you

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Real Player asked about the action.
That got me thinking. Upgraded a bit

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Wait - are you switching to the NV5S??

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post