well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Today I replaced my Kawai, Again. Thank you, Real Player.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today I replaced my Kawai, Again. Thank you, Real Player.
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Real Player asked about the action.
That got me thinking. Upgraded a bit
I can’t really have an opinion as I haven’t played anything fancier than Jon-nyc’s Clavinova.

I’m very curious how subtleties of pedaling (half- and quarter-pedaling, say) work on the digital. And its effect on tone color.

I must admit it’s fun to watch companies working feverishly to approximate the sound and feel of a 19th century mechanical instrument.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
Wait - are you switching to the NV5S??

I did.
The sound is better than that of the more expensive NV10s IMO. I think that is due to the 1/2 of a wooden soundboard that
is in addition to speakers.
The action is Kawai's carbom fiber Millenium III upright action. I like it. It does have the feel of an upright action, which I have
never been able to play as quietly as the action of a grand. That should not matter when there is a volume control.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
So, your new piano gets delivered in a week.

What’s the first thing you’re going to play?

Do you need the WTF Brain Trust to help you decide?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
So, your new piano gets delivered in a week.

What’s the first thing you’re going to play?

Do you need the WTF Brain Trust to help you decide?

The C scale? That is where it all begins.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Well?

Is it home?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Too much going on here. Don got me up to take him to the ER at 6AM. We have Don's old friend as a house guest.
Don told him to ski today.
Kidney pain was making him vomit.
He has been admitted. Expects to be there four days for tests.
He has only one kidney which is attached directly to his bladder. The kidney is inflamed.

The piano came yesterday. The action is much better than it was in the store. The initial resistance common to many uprights is not noticeable. From what I know the dampers may have been reset. I like the action.
The sound is good. It plays well with headphones. Changed the headphone settings for the open type I am using.
Learning the app, which seems to be identical to what is one the touch screen on the cheekblock. Touch screens are not known to be long lived, hence the app.
It is settling in.

Don doesn't like the lamp on the piano. Should I find another?

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Don doesn't like the lamp on the piano. Should I find another?
No.

Sorry to hear about chaos and turmoil coming at you all at once. I hope Don pulls through okay. And I hope you get some time with the new piano soon.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
What PJ said. Send our best wishes to Don!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I have seen hooks you can attach to the underside of the keybed on which to hang your headphones.

If I were to leave mine on the floor like that, I'd certainly step on them within a day, or the cat would be running around the house dragging them by the cord.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I have seen hooks you can attach to the underside of the keybed on which to hang your headphones.

If I were to leave mine on the floor like that, I'd certainly step on them within a day, or the cat would be running around the house dragging them by the cord.

Found the hook. Already there. Thank you.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Looks great. I'm considering selling my piano and going digital for similar reasons. It was easier to play during the day when MFR was working upstairs. Now she's down here most of the time.

Besides, we will likely downsize at some point in the future and a 6' grand makes that more difficult.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I was considering downsizing from my 9 foot grand to something smaller, but still an acoustic grand. Maybe see what a good dealer would give me in a partial trade for a rebuilt grand. Still thinking about it…the piano as is needs at least 10K in action work.

But I think the upcharge would still be too great for me.

Plus, concert grands are a tough sell.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Sending good vibes for Don.

I love all the art in your house, based on just what I can see in this picture.

Enjoy your new piano!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much.

Enjoying it. No one else is here and I can play without the headphones. Don't want loud today, but that can be avoided.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Chas, I'm sorry to hear about Don, I hope he's ok.

Congrats on your piano! It looks fantastic there and I love your artwork!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post