well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Learn Something Every Day ... La Folia

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Learn Something Every Day ... La Folia
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
La Folia -- BBC story

Perhaps the original western European tune, and its enduring legacy.

Perhaps everybody knows this, but the origins of the tune were new to me. I recognized the melody and chord structure instantly, but thought it was something Corelli invented.

Here's an amazing version by perhaps my favorite Baroque performance group.

Vivaldi's version played by Apollo's Fire

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
my favorite Baroque performance group

That is a phrase I have never used.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Your loss, but I spent a few years listening to Baroque flute at home. My son's Baroque flute instructor is the flutist for Apollo's Fire.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Madcap Compatriot
posted Hide Post
Ha, Las Folias de Espana...love them.
Have you listened to the versions of Marin Marais?
And, here´s something you might like, as you seem to be a fellow lover of baroque music: Have you found the Folia, neatly hidden away, in Beethovens fifth symphony?
(Didn´t have the time to see your BBC link yet; I hope, this little secret is not solved there!)

Posts: 202 | Location: Germany | Registered: 14 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I knew about the Beethoven link because the article encouraged me to find it!

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I mentioned I went to hear the Brandenburg Concertos last week in Vancouver. The solo violinist in P*D's clip (Apollo's Fire) was the conductor/soloist in the group I saw.

Small world, the baroque musician's world....the guy's name is Olivier Brault.

P*D, you might enjoy their website.

Quirt, your loss. Wink

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Madcap Compatriot
posted Hide Post
P*D and Nina, thanks for your links! Jesus, Tiffany Poon, she can can play...breathtaking. And I found the yt-channel of les Boréades de Montréal, looks very interesting.
So here´s another link for you (sadly without a Folia, but listen to the Presto at 12:38, I´d never have thought, that this was baroque music!) Telemann E minor flute and recorder ; I like to check the yt-channel of the Bremer Barockorchester from time to time, maybe you like them too.

Posts: 202 | Location: Germany | Registered: 14 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Martin.

This was the first time I'd ever seen the B. Concertos performed live. As much as I would have claimed that I knew every single note and breath of those pieces, seeing them live was an education. The interplay of the instruments is something you can only appreciate live, IMO.

It was fantastic.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post