well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Aysgarth

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aysgarth
 Login/Join

Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted
WTG, we visited, I'm guessing it hasn't changed much. (Hope these photos work, trying new storage)

--------------------------------
Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 385 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post

https://www.dropbox.com/s/imbj...m8mm0/13690.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tur...sr9ed/13696.jpg?dl=0

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 385 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvg0...af37t/13691.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgat...emhoa/13725.jpg?dl=0

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yes, just as I remembered it! And wonderful memories they are.

I was even there right around this time of year, a few days after Prince Harry was born.

Did you stop for tea? Yummy

(Side note: I'm not up on the technical aspects of how image hosting and display work, so I'm not sure why the images you saved to Dropbox didn't display here at WTF. At least they didn't for me.

As a moderator, I was able to edit your original posts and get the pics to show up as embedded here. I saved everything to postimages.org, which is the third party picture hosting site I use to post photos here. I don't have an account at postimages; I just save my pics there, copy the link, and post the photo here. Others use Flickr.

Photobucket, a service many of us used for years, now charges for their services so we've all pretty much dropped it.)

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
Yes. Wife was in London with daughters, so sister & I went to Richmond to collect a pair of boots from Altberg, then on to Swaledale. Parked mid-afternoon on the north side of the river and walked down & across the bridge to the Mill teashop you had mentioned.
We had tea & hot chocolate, sister managed to find gluten free cakes. Building must be at least a couple of hundred years old, that's my window view from our table; also me & dog near the falls.
We really enjoyed the day. Glad my photos brought back good memories for you.

(My flickr account seems to have vanished probably due to lack of activity, so tried dropbox, but will take your advice & try others.
Cheers)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I relied on paper maps when I traveled to England back in the 1980s. It was easy to pick up a map of a city or area and plan out the next day's trip over dinner.

One thing I noticed when I was looking for road maps were the very detailed maps of the areas that showed various paths and walking trails. Are those what are called ordnance maps?

I see that the world has advanced and now apps abound. People post descriptions of their favorite walks, including distance, elevations, difficulty, and approximate walking times in addition to sights to be seen along the way. Like this one that includes Castle Bolton.

Mom and I saw the castle but drove there...
Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
We saw the castle and said we must visit!
Ordnance Survey maps are now also available online to print, but I fondly remember pouring over the red 1 inch to a mile maps planning walks, and for hilly areas like The Lake District or the N Yorkshire Moors, the larger scale 2.5 inches to a mile.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We also visited a couple of abbeys, Jervaulx and Fountains.

We had taken the train from London to York, and spent a day or two exploring that great walled city. I rented a car (an interesting first time for this American driving on the other side of the road) and we drove to Fountains Abbey on our way to Masham.

We were walking through the abbey ruins when Mom suddenly fell down to the ground. She was gasping for breath like a fish out of water and clearly in distress. I thought she might be having a heart attack. The abbey was nearly deserted and I had no idea what to do. She recovered pretty quickly; she had caught her shoe on an uneven step and fallen and just had the wind knocked out of her.

We traveled to Bank Villa, our B&B, which had one of those lovely huge bathtubs that are common in England (you guys have great bath tubs). She was able to soak her bruised ribs while I unwound down in the lobby with a half pint of excellent bitter from their cellar. (You guys also have the best beer).

The proprietors were marvelous cooks and we had the best dinner ever, fresh Nidderdale trout and sticky toffee pudding for dessert, another first for me.

Can you tell I'm food-oriented? Wink

We enjoyed our trip to Yorkshire. York was lovely, the Dales picturesque, and we went to Betty's many times in both York and Harrogate. I still dream about that trout and the pudding.

But my Mom's lingering memory was of "the damn abbey". Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training