well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The future of DSLRs

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The future of DSLRs
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Are DSLR Cameras Going Extinct?

Amid rumors that Nikon is joining Canon in winding down development and production of DSLR cameras, a look back at the history and impact of the DLSR—and where it’s headed.

https://www.blind-magazine.com...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
The DSLR was an attempt to hybridize the experience (and quality) of traditional cameras with a digital output

I can relate to this. I used to take a lot of photographs and shot most of them on Kodachrome. When Kodak discontinued that film, my enthusiasm for the hobby diminished a lot. There were other slide films available, but Kodachrome had been my go-to film for many years.

I bought a compact digital camera for my wife and she used it for several years until she got a smart phone that produced good results.

I eventually bought a compact digital camera with a zoom lens that I used occasionally and then I bit the bullet and bought a Canon DSLR, but I've never been so comfortable with it as with my old analog SLRs. Now I'm happy to leave most of the photography in our family to my wife. I can just observe the world as it goes by.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7423 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
The expense and potential failure point of a mechanical mirror is simply no longer needed.

Digital viewfinders have advanced to the point that they exceed anything an analog or hybrid could ever accomplish.

Mechanical mirrors and shutters also limit the speed/frames per second.

Posts: 13636 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
I hope not, eventually the electrics will fail in our aging Sony and though we use it only occasionally, we would like replace it just to use the lenses we've kept.

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 387 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Nikon had an almost decent product with the Nikon1 that offered interchangeable lenses and a couple options on bodies, but it was priced way above everything else in that form factor. I haven't heard much about the Z series, but again, they are eye-wateringly expensive and the FTZ adapter is awfully pricey, too, if you want to use your F-mount lenses. The Z50 may be a contender, but I think it's still out of the hobbyist's reach at $1000 - 1200 depending on lenses..

Canon seems to have a good offering in the EOS M50 at half that price.

Nevertheless, the last couple of people who have asked me what camera they should buy for getting serious about photography (read: interchangeable lenses and useful accessories), I've told them to go mirrorless.

I agree that DSLRs are on the way out, but I expect I'll be using mine for a few more decades.

My one complaint is that I grew up with Nikon film cameras with split prism/microprism ring for focusing and I wish I had those on my DSLRs. One advantage of mirrorless cameras is that you are seeing in the viewfinder exactly what the sensor is seeing, so there's no chance your focus is off because the mirror is out of adjustment.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post